May 7, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
Minnesota forward Jason Zucker played in just 26 NHL games before the Wild’s first-round series started, but if not for him, his team might be on the brink of elimination going into Game 4 tonight.
Zucker netted the winner in overtime on Sunday to reduce the Blackhawks series lead to 2-1.
The 21-year-old forward is still growing as a player, but he gives teammate Matt Cullen, 36, a lot of for getting him this far.
“More than you guys even know, he’s been unbelievable all year,” Zucker told NHL.com. “I have to give him a ton of credit for my development.”
Cullen was asked if he ever saw himself eventually becoming a mentor when he first made it into the NHL.
“You don’t ever really think about it, it just happens so fast,” Cullen said. “I still remember being a rookie in Anaheim with Kariya and Selanne. It goes so fast, but it’s been a fun run.”
Cullen’s career isn’t done yet. He had seven goals and 27 points in 42 regular season games and has added another three assists in this first-round series. He’ll become an unrestricted free agent this summer, but he should be able to land another contract after the season like that.
Here’s a video of Zucker’s game-winning goal, which Cullen got an assist on:
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)