May 7, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
Minnesota forward Jason Zucker played in just 26 NHL games before the Wild’s first-round series started, but if not for him, his team might be on the brink of elimination going into Game 4 tonight.
Zucker netted the winner in overtime on Sunday to reduce the Blackhawks series lead to 2-1.
The 21-year-old forward is still growing as a player, but he gives teammate Matt Cullen, 36, a lot of for getting him this far.
“More than you guys even know, he’s been unbelievable all year,” Zucker told NHL.com. “I have to give him a ton of credit for my development.”
Cullen was asked if he ever saw himself eventually becoming a mentor when he first made it into the NHL.
“You don’t ever really think about it, it just happens so fast,” Cullen said. “I still remember being a rookie in Anaheim with Kariya and Selanne. It goes so fast, but it’s been a fun run.”
Cullen’s career isn’t done yet. He had seven goals and 27 points in 42 regular season games and has added another three assists in this first-round series. He’ll become an unrestricted free agent this summer, but he should be able to land another contract after the season like that.
Here’s a video of Zucker’s game-winning goal, which Cullen got an assist on:
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 32
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)