May 7, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
One of the best things about playoff hockey is mistakes can often be forgotten about or made up for in a short time.
Detroit Red Wings’ forward Damien Brunner admitted that Game 3 – a 4-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks – wasn’t a great game from him. But, two nights later, he scored the winning goal at 15:10 of overtime to provide the Red Wings a pivotal 3-2 victory on home ice over the Ducks.
Brunner was given a gift in overtime, when Gustav Nyquist split the Ducks’ defence on a rush up the ice. Jonas Hiller stopped the first attempt from Nyquist, but couldn’t control the rebound. Brunner followed the play and flipped the loose puck into the top corner.
“I blame myself a lot. It was not the best night of my life,” Brunner told NHL.com about a tough night individually in Game 3.
“But, you know, all the guys did a pretty good job getting my head up the next day, they were joking about it. So, obviously I’m pretty happy that it ended up like this tonight.”
The best-of-seven series is now tied at 2-2, as the two teams fly west for California.
“We had to win,” Red Wings’ goalie Jimmy Howard told the Detroit Free Press.
“It was simple as that. It didn’t matter how it looked, or who stepped forward. (Anaheim) came into this game with a lot of momentum and we had to stop them.”
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
St. Louis hosts Montreal tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
Expects a sellout on Dec. 27 versus San Jose.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
Rostislav Klesla called up.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
Edmonton whipped Colorado 8-2 the last time the two teams met.
Dec 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
“You’ll see he’s a very good skating, smart, heady player.”
Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Andrew Alberts will get another shot tonight in Dallas.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
This after he played less than five minutes against Phoenix last game.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
“Things are going well, let’s just let things happen,” said GM Dale Tallon.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
“He’s a young player still, and sometimes you have those seasons.”
Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Flyers host Jackets.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Shakeup time in Detroit.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
He’ll face the Preds tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Mathew Dumba and Jonathan Drouin will serve as alternates.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
He played less than five minutes against the Coyotes.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have put him on unconditional waivers.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
There was some controversy surrounding the goal.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Nine suspensions totaling 38 games, with more likely on the way.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
If all goes well, he could be back on Dec. 27, according to Fletcher.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 3
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 14
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 35
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 41
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 50
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)