May 7, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
San Jose coach Todd McLellan has responded to the accusation from Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa that the Sharks are embellishing to get calls.
And he’s responded rather well, we must say.
“If we go back now to look at the series, we’ve been called cheaters in Game 1, we’ve been called embellishing Canadians after Game 3,” McLellan said today, per CSN Bay Area. “If the series goes any deeper, we may be accused of biting, eventually.”
Hockey fans don’t need to be told what McLellan is talking about. (If you’re new to the NHL, read this.)
At any rate, both teams will need to put the talk behind them before tonight’s Game 4 at HP Pavilion. The Canucks will be eliminated with a loss; the Sharks don’t want to flirt with what nearly happened in 2011 when they blew a 3-0 series lead to Detroit before winning in seven.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 10
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)