May 7, 2013, 7:29 PM EST
With his team down 3-0 in their first-round series, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa questioned the integrity of San Jose forwards Joe Thornton and Logan Couture and suggested that they were both embellishing to draw penalties.
Before they attempt to settle their differences on the ice (10:00 p.m. ET, CNBC), San Jose Sharks forward Adam Burish decided to fire the next volley in this war of words, according to the Vancouver Province.
“If I was him, while he was up on his soap box and trying to save the integrity of the game and all that stuff, I’d swing by player No. 14 (Alex Burrows) and player No. 17 (Ryan Kesler) and have a little talk about diving and the integrity thing,” Burish said. “Then they can work their way over to our room, but I’d start with their room.
“It’s silly to sit there and call out the refs and worrying about what we’re doing. Please, keep worrying about us. We’re going to worry about what we can do better instead of having props and interviews and video evidence and all that stuff. Game 1 were cheating on face-offs and now we’re embellishing.”
Burish is referring to Canucks coach Alain Vigneault’s claim that the Sharks “cheat and they are allowed to cheat” on the draw. Although to be fair, claiming the opposition is cheating on faceoffs has become very, very popular.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)