May 7, 2013, 7:29 PM EDT
With his team down 3-0 in their first-round series, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa questioned the integrity of San Jose forwards Joe Thornton and Logan Couture and suggested that they were both embellishing to draw penalties.
Before they attempt to settle their differences on the ice (10:00 p.m. ET, CNBC), San Jose Sharks forward Adam Burish decided to fire the next volley in this war of words, according to the Vancouver Province.
“If I was him, while he was up on his soap box and trying to save the integrity of the game and all that stuff, I’d swing by player No. 14 (Alex Burrows) and player No. 17 (Ryan Kesler) and have a little talk about diving and the integrity thing,” Burish said. “Then they can work their way over to our room, but I’d start with their room.
“It’s silly to sit there and call out the refs and worrying about what we’re doing. Please, keep worrying about us. We’re going to worry about what we can do better instead of having props and interviews and video evidence and all that stuff. Game 1 were cheating on face-offs and now we’re embellishing.”
Burish is referring to Canucks coach Alain Vigneault’s claim that the Sharks “cheat and they are allowed to cheat” on the draw. Although to be fair, claiming the opposition is cheating on faceoffs has become very, very popular.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)