May 7, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Cory Schneider will be Vancouver’s starting goalie tonight in San Jose.
Schneider has been given the nod despite being pulled in Game 3 after allowing five Sharks goals on 28 shots in a 5-2 loss that put his team on the verge of being swept out of the playoffs.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault has been criticized for going with Schneider over Roberto Luongo, who was mostly solid — and at times spectacular — for the Canucks in Games 1 and 2 when Schneider was out with an undisclosed injury.
But as Luongo said, “It’s [Schneider’s] team.”
Schneider looked shaky on back-to-back goals by the Sharks early in the third period of Sunday’s game.
If the Canucks lose tonight, starting Schneider may be Vigneault’s last goaltending decision as head coach in Vancouver.
Tonight may also be Luongo’s last time in a Canucks uniform.
Though we’ve said that before, haven’t we.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)