May 7, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Cory Schneider will be Vancouver’s starting goalie tonight in San Jose.
Schneider has been given the nod despite being pulled in Game 3 after allowing five Sharks goals on 28 shots in a 5-2 loss that put his team on the verge of being swept out of the playoffs.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault has been criticized for going with Schneider over Roberto Luongo, who was mostly solid — and at times spectacular — for the Canucks in Games 1 and 2 when Schneider was out with an undisclosed injury.
But as Luongo said, “It’s [Schneider's] team.”
Schneider looked shaky on back-to-back goals by the Sharks early in the third period of Sunday’s game.
If the Canucks lose tonight, starting Schneider may be Vigneault’s last goaltending decision as head coach in Vancouver.
Tonight may also be Luongo’s last time in a Canucks uniform.
Though we’ve said that before, haven’t we.
"Cory is our MVP, he's one of the reasons we're in the playoffs. I've got a lot of faith in Cory and he's in tonight" – Coach Vigneault—
Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) May 07, 2013
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)