May 7, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have announced that interim head coach Ron Rolston will lose the “interim” and stick with the team for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s the 16th person to ever serve as the Sabres’ head coach.
Rolston was brought in to serve as the Sabres interim head coach after the team got off to a 6-10-1 start and former bench boss Lindy Ruff was fired. Buffalo posted a 15-11-5 record under Rolston and they finished 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Rolston will get the opportunity to work with his team from the start of training camp and without the added strain that came with the condensed schedule that we had this year. However, he might find himself coaching a younger team in the beginnings of a rebuild.
Buffalo hasn’t made the playoffs since 2011 and hasn’t advanced past the first round since 2007.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)