May 7, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have announced that interim head coach Ron Rolston will lose the “interim” and stick with the team for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s the 16th person to ever serve as the Sabres’ head coach.
Rolston was brought in to serve as the Sabres interim head coach after the team got off to a 6-10-1 start and former bench boss Lindy Ruff was fired. Buffalo posted a 15-11-5 record under Rolston and they finished 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Rolston will get the opportunity to work with his team from the start of training camp and without the added strain that came with the condensed schedule that we had this year. However, he might find himself coaching a younger team in the beginnings of a rebuild.
Buffalo hasn’t made the playoffs since 2011 and hasn’t advanced past the first round since 2007.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)