May 7, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have announced that interim head coach Ron Rolston will lose the “interim” and stick with the team for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s the 16th person to ever serve as the Sabres’ head coach.
Rolston was brought in to serve as the Sabres interim head coach after the team got off to a 6-10-1 start and former bench boss Lindy Ruff was fired. Buffalo posted a 15-11-5 record under Rolston and they finished 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Rolston will get the opportunity to work with his team from the start of training camp and without the added strain that came with the condensed schedule that we had this year. However, he might find himself coaching a younger team in the beginnings of a rebuild.
Buffalo hasn’t made the playoffs since 2011 and hasn’t advanced past the first round since 2007.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)