May 7, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have announced that interim head coach Ron Rolston will lose the “interim” and stick with the team for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s the 16th person to ever serve as the Sabres’ head coach.
Rolston was brought in to serve as the Sabres interim head coach after the team got off to a 6-10-1 start and former bench boss Lindy Ruff was fired. Buffalo posted a 15-11-5 record under Rolston and they finished 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Rolston will get the opportunity to work with his team from the start of training camp and without the added strain that came with the condensed schedule that we had this year. However, he might find himself coaching a younger team in the beginnings of a rebuild.
Buffalo hasn’t made the playoffs since 2011 and hasn’t advanced past the first round since 2007.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)