May 7, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have announced that interim head coach Ron Rolston will lose the “interim” and stick with the team for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s the 16th person to ever serve as the Sabres’ head coach.
Rolston was brought in to serve as the Sabres interim head coach after the team got off to a 6-10-1 start and former bench boss Lindy Ruff was fired. Buffalo posted a 15-11-5 record under Rolston and they finished 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Rolston will get the opportunity to work with his team from the start of training camp and without the added strain that came with the condensed schedule that we had this year. However, he might find himself coaching a younger team in the beginnings of a rebuild.
Buffalo hasn’t made the playoffs since 2011 and hasn’t advanced past the first round since 2007.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)