May 7, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s defensive play is once again under the microscope.
To see why, watch this:
That would be the New York Rangers scoring the winning goal last night at Madison Square Garden in Game 3 of their series with Washington.
“Step’s got pressure, so he didn’t get the puck in my wheelhouse, and I kind of caught it off-center,” McDonagh told the Daily News. “And then I was seeing Ovie standing straight-legged, like he was tired, so I tried to go back against him and keep the play alive.”
So…was Ovechkin tired?
Capitals coach Adam Oates doesn’t think so.
In fact, Oates thinks it was his fault.
“I don’t think he was tired,” Oates said today, per the Daily News. “I think that I didn’t do a good enough job getting him in his rhythm, probably because of penalties.”
According to the official stats, Ovechkin had been on the ice for 1:07 before Stepan scored. That’s a pretty long shift for most forwards, though not all that uncommon for the Capitals’ captain.
Granted, how tired one gets during a shift also depends on the situation, not just the length. Playing defense, for example, takes more effort than standing and waiting for one-timers on the power play.
Tired or not, Ovechkin could’ve done a better job containing McDonagh. (And while we’re at it, Nicklas Backstrom could’ve picked up Stepan a bit quicker.)
Washington still leads the series, 2-1, though.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)