May 7, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
The New York Islanders don’t want to be remembered as the team that held their own against the Pittsburgh Penguins, they want to be the squad that eliminates them.
Pittsburgh is up 2-1 series lead heading into tonight’s contest (7:00 p.m. ET, NBCSN), but Islanders forward Frans Nielsen feels his team has one key advantage that can push them over the top.
“We’ve felt they have a lot of guys on their team that can’t skate with us,” Nielsen said, according to ESPN.
He added, “I think when we’re moving our feet, they’ve got guys up front, on the [defense] that we can see are struggling a little bit. We’ve gotta skate with ’em. If we stop skating, we don’t have a chance.”
Penguins captain Sidney Crosby noted that the Islanders have “probably carried the play a little bit more.” He also thinks that his team has hurt themselves by allowing too many turnovers.
The Islanders certainly came out strong in Game 3 on Sunday, but the Penguins were superb in power-play situations. Pittsburgh’s edge in special teams was the difference in that match, but if the Islanders play a more disciplined game tonight, then perhaps they can even this series.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 6
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 49
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)