May 7, 2013, 10:10 AM EST
The NHL has confirmed that Dodger Stadium will be the host of an outdoor game between the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings at 7:00 p.m. PT on Jan. 25, 2014.
If all goes well, this could lead to more outdoor games in markets that would be considered “non-traditional” for a Winter Classic, NHL COO John Collins said.
“We’re trying to get this event to more markets, to give more people an opportunity to tailgate and celebrate around hockey,” NHL COO John Collins said in a LA Kings Insider report.
When people hear about an outdoor hockey game in Southern California, they usually wonder if the weather will be a problem. The average January temperature for Los Angeles is typically between 48 and 68 degrees in January.
“We don’t anticipate any issues. We had pretty strong sun in Philadelphia before that game,” Collins pointed out. “I think if you took a temperature right by the boards, it was up to the low, mid-70’s with the sun beating directly on it. That’s where (NHL facilities operation manager Dan Craig) first made use of the thermal blankets to really protect the ice.”
The ice will also be constructed at night and shielded from the sun during the day. The NHL will also have contingencies in place in case it rains around the scheduled start time.
The game at Dodger Stadium is part of a series of outdoor games that will take place in 2014. The Blackhawks will host the Penguins at Soldier Field on March 1 and we’re likely to hear the dates and locations of other outdoor games confirmed in the coming weeks.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8