May 7, 2013, 12:47 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ first home playoff game since 2004 – there have been two lockouts since then – didn’t quite go as planned.
The visiting Boston Bruins silenced the crowd at the Air Canada Centre and outside in Maple Leafs Square with a 5-2 victory to take Game 3 of the series.
The Bruins should be used to spoiling big playoff parties in Canadian cities. In 2011, the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in a Game 7 victory over the Canucks in Vancouver.
And the 2013 Bruins seemed rather indifferent to the emotions of all those Toronto hockey fans.
“I understand it’s their first playoff game in a while, but it’s just another game, just another building,” Bruins’ forward David Krejci told the National Post. “Obviously it was loud, but it’s just another game.”
Those who had hoped to attend the first playoff game in Toronto since 2004 had to dig deep into their wallets, too.
Cheap tickets were going for as low as $205 at Stubhub. More expensive tickets were nearing the $1,000-mark.
A lot of money, but no victory for the Leafs, who now trail in the series 2-1.
“We did a lot of good things,” Leafs’ head coach Randy Carlyle told the Toronto Star. “But the mistakes we made aren’t going to allow us to win many hockey games.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)