May 7, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ first home playoff game since 2004 – there have been two lockouts since then – didn’t quite go as planned.
The visiting Boston Bruins silenced the crowd at the Air Canada Centre and outside in Maple Leafs Square with a 5-2 victory to take Game 3 of the series.
The Bruins should be used to spoiling big playoff parties in Canadian cities. In 2011, the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in a Game 7 victory over the Canucks in Vancouver.
And the 2013 Bruins seemed rather indifferent to the emotions of all those Toronto hockey fans.
“I understand it’s their first playoff game in a while, but it’s just another game, just another building,” Bruins’ forward David Krejci told the National Post. “Obviously it was loud, but it’s just another game.”
Those who had hoped to attend the first playoff game in Toronto since 2004 had to dig deep into their wallets, too.
Cheap tickets were going for as low as $205 at Stubhub. More expensive tickets were nearing the $1,000-mark.
A lot of money, but no victory for the Leafs, who now trail in the series 2-1.
“We did a lot of good things,” Leafs’ head coach Randy Carlyle told the Toronto Star. “But the mistakes we made aren’t going to allow us to win many hockey games.”
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)