May 7, 2013, 12:47 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ first home playoff game since 2004 – there have been two lockouts since then – didn’t quite go as planned.
The visiting Boston Bruins silenced the crowd at the Air Canada Centre and outside in Maple Leafs Square with a 5-2 victory to take Game 3 of the series.
The Bruins should be used to spoiling big playoff parties in Canadian cities. In 2011, the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in a Game 7 victory over the Canucks in Vancouver.
And the 2013 Bruins seemed rather indifferent to the emotions of all those Toronto hockey fans.
“I understand it’s their first playoff game in a while, but it’s just another game, just another building,” Bruins’ forward David Krejci told the National Post. “Obviously it was loud, but it’s just another game.”
Those who had hoped to attend the first playoff game in Toronto since 2004 had to dig deep into their wallets, too.
Cheap tickets were going for as low as $205 at Stubhub. More expensive tickets were nearing the $1,000-mark.
A lot of money, but no victory for the Leafs, who now trail in the series 2-1.
“We did a lot of good things,” Leafs’ head coach Randy Carlyle told the Toronto Star. “But the mistakes we made aren’t going to allow us to win many hockey games.”
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)