May 7, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Jaromir Jagr has played in 1,391 career NHL games and another 183 postseason contests.
At 41 years old, you have to wonder how many more games he’s got left in him and during the national anthems before Game 3 of their first-round series against the Toronto Maple Leafs, he was just trying to take it all in.
“I’m not going to play many more games,” Jagr acknowledge to ESPN. “Hopefully I might play a year, maybe two. I would love to.”
For now though, Jagr is focused on winning another Stanley Cup, but not so much for his own sake.
“For me, it’s more special if I can help to make somebody else happy, or the fans, or my teammates who have never won it,” Jagr, who has won the Stanley Cup twice, said. “That’s what I enjoy more.”
Jagr wasn’t great in the first two games of the Bruins’ first-round series, but he was coming off of a “tough flu.” He had an assist on Monday and his play impressed Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
“He personalizes a superstar,” Chiarelli added. “I think the guys were originally in awe of him. Now they see he’s just a normal guy. This is a guy that probably half the guys in our locker room looked up to as a superstar for their whole life, just watching him play, myself included.”
The Bruins, who have a 2-1 series lead over the Maple Leafs, will play on Wednesday (7:00 p.m. ET, CNBC).
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)