May 7, 2013, 8:13 PM EST
Boston Bruins forward Jaromir Jagr has played in 1,391 career NHL games and another 183 postseason contests.
At 41 years old, you have to wonder how many more games he’s got left in him and during the national anthems before Game 3 of their first-round series against the Toronto Maple Leafs, he was just trying to take it all in.
“I’m not going to play many more games,” Jagr acknowledge to ESPN. “Hopefully I might play a year, maybe two. I would love to.”
For now though, Jagr is focused on winning another Stanley Cup, but not so much for his own sake.
“For me, it’s more special if I can help to make somebody else happy, or the fans, or my teammates who have never won it,” Jagr, who has won the Stanley Cup twice, said. “That’s what I enjoy more.”
Jagr wasn’t great in the first two games of the Bruins’ first-round series, but he was coming off of a “tough flu.” He had an assist on Monday and his play impressed Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
“He personalizes a superstar,” Chiarelli added. “I think the guys were originally in awe of him. Now they see he’s just a normal guy. This is a guy that probably half the guys in our locker room looked up to as a superstar for their whole life, just watching him play, myself included.”
The Bruins, who have a 2-1 series lead over the Maple Leafs, will play on Wednesday (7:00 p.m. ET, CNBC).
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 0
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)