May 7, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Jaromir Jagr has played in 1,391 career NHL games and another 183 postseason contests.
At 41 years old, you have to wonder how many more games he’s got left in him and during the national anthems before Game 3 of their first-round series against the Toronto Maple Leafs, he was just trying to take it all in.
“I’m not going to play many more games,” Jagr acknowledge to ESPN. “Hopefully I might play a year, maybe two. I would love to.”
For now though, Jagr is focused on winning another Stanley Cup, but not so much for his own sake.
“For me, it’s more special if I can help to make somebody else happy, or the fans, or my teammates who have never won it,” Jagr, who has won the Stanley Cup twice, said. “That’s what I enjoy more.”
Jagr wasn’t great in the first two games of the Bruins’ first-round series, but he was coming off of a “tough flu.” He had an assist on Monday and his play impressed Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
“He personalizes a superstar,” Chiarelli added. “I think the guys were originally in awe of him. Now they see he’s just a normal guy. This is a guy that probably half the guys in our locker room looked up to as a superstar for their whole life, just watching him play, myself included.”
The Bruins, who have a 2-1 series lead over the Maple Leafs, will play on Wednesday (7:00 p.m. ET, CNBC).
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 29
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)