May 7, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
What do the Islanders need to do to beat the Penguins?
Oh, nothing really — just “play almost perfect hockey,” according to their coach, Jack Capuano.
Despite losing 5-4 in overtime, the Isles played well in Game 3 of their first-round series at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Sunday. They outshot the Penguins, 36-25, and outscored them five-on-five.
But the Isles weren’t perfect. Pittsburgh ended up with five power-play opportunities, converting on three of them, including the winner in overtime.
Was it a questionable call on Strait? Sure. Especially in overtime. Nobody would’ve been shocked if the referee had decided to keep his arm down.
That being said, the Isles need to do a better job on the penalty kill tonight in Game 4.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)