May 7, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
There are going to be a lot of angry fans in Montreal tonight. Montreal took a 2-0 lead, but Senators forward Mika Zibanejad cut it in half with a goal that some would argue involved a kicking motion. Cory Conacher tied the game with less than 23 seconds left to send this one to overtime.
On top of that, Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price left the game due to an injury and was replaced by Peter Budaj for the overtime period. Budaj, who started in just 10 games this season, lasted 2:32 minutes before conceding the deciding goal to Kyle Turris.
The seventh seed Ottawa Senators now have a 3-1 series lead.
- P.K. Subban netted Montreal’s opening goal and logged 25:45 minutes after being announced as one of the three Norris Trophy finalists this morning.
- After combing for 210 penalty minutes in the third period of Game 3, this game was tame by comparison with just four minor penalties. That doesn’t mean this game wasn’t physical though.
- Zibanejad, 20, and Conacher, 23, both scored their first career playoff goal.
- For that matter, Montreal’s Alex Galchenyuk also found the back of the net for the first time in the postseason.
- Montreal mustered just five shots on goal in the final 22:32 minutes of this contest.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32