May 7, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
The Islanders and Penguins battled hard in this one, but John Tavares banked the deciding goal for the Islanders midway through the third period. Then 22-year-old forward Casey Cizikas rounded out the scoring in New York’s 6-4 victory and seemed to demoralize Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury in the process.
A few things to consider:
- Pittsburgh did a superb job of responding to the Islanders’ early goals. James Neal found the back of the net just 45 seconds after the Islanders made it 1-0 and Evgeni Malkin responded within a minute of John Tavares’ goal. It kept New York from developing some early momentum, even if it didn’t end up changing the outcome of this game.
- Pascal Dupuis has an incredible nine goals in nine contests against the New York Islanders in the regular season and playoffs. He’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and seems likely to get a sizable raise after completing a two-year, $3,000,000 contract.
- What should become of Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury? The Penguins went out and got themselves a viable alternative for the playoffs in Tomas Vokoun. Is it time to give him a shot? How much heat will Dan Bylsma take if he starts Fleury in Game 5?
- On the subject, Islanders goaltender Evgeni Nabokov has a horrendous .846 save percentage in this series. So goaltending hasn’t exactly been either team’s greatest strength in this series.
- Islanders defenseman Andrew MacDonald suffered what the Islanders called an upper-body injury. He was limited to 15:36 minutes as a result.
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime 0
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 10
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 7
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 13
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 11
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)