May 7, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury silenced the New York Islanders in Game 1 of this series, but he’s allowed 14 goals over the last three contests.
With his team already down 5-4 late in tonight’s game, Fleury seemed to reach rock bottom by allowing a weak goal to the Islanders’ Casey Cizikas.
You can see that below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Fleury also left plenty to be desired in the Penguins’ first-round exit against the Philadelphia Flyers last year. After that, Pittsburgh acquired Tomas Vokoun, to give them a viable backup.
So is it time for Plan B?
“We’re not going to talk about our staring goaltender for Game 5 right now,” Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma said, according to the Penguins.
Although Bylsma did concede the obvious, “End of the day they ended up getting six goals on us and that’s too many.”
Even a team with as many offensive weapons as the Penguins can’t always overcome defensive and goaltending problems.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)