May 7, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury silenced the New York Islanders in Game 1 of this series, but he’s allowed 14 goals over the last three contests.
With his team already down 5-4 late in tonight’s game, Fleury seemed to reach rock bottom by allowing a weak goal to the Islanders’ Casey Cizikas.
You can see that below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Fleury also left plenty to be desired in the Penguins’ first-round exit against the Philadelphia Flyers last year. After that, Pittsburgh acquired Tomas Vokoun, to give them a viable backup.
So is it time for Plan B?
“We’re not going to talk about our staring goaltender for Game 5 right now,” Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma said, according to the Penguins.
Although Bylsma did concede the obvious, “End of the day they ended up getting six goals on us and that’s too many.”
Even a team with as many offensive weapons as the Penguins can’t always overcome defensive and goaltending problems.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)