May 7, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Bruins fans and the city of Boston are outraged over a “Toronto Stronger” sign that made an appearance during Monday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals.
The sign was held by an unidentified Maple Leafs fan and, as reported by the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, made a brief appearance on the Air Canada Centre video scoreboard before a quick cut away.
“Overwhelmingly, the reaction has been that it was done in bad taste, that it was inappropriate, that it was classless,” CBC sports reporter Carly Agro said.
“Certainly this is not being received well at all.”
“Toronto Stronger” is a play on “Boston Strong,” the phrase that became widespread across the United States following the Boston Marathon bombings, which killed three people and injured more than 250.
In Boston, last night’s sign sparked major outrage.
As mentioned above, the holder of the “Toronto Stronger” sign is currently unidentified, though the Toronto Sun is asking readers to either call or email the city desk if they know who the person is.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for
Aug 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He’s got the size and skill to potentially make an impact.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Andersen, Gibson & Khudobin have a combined 27 Stanley Cup playoff games on their resume.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Will all of them play in 2015-16?
Aug 2, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
That will eat up his first year of UFA eligibility.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Can they close to final gap between them and the Stanley Cup?
Aug 2, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
They avoided an arbitration judgment.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
They’re in win now mode.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He’ll add some toughness to the lineup.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)