May 7, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
Bruins fans and the city of Boston are outraged over a “Toronto Stronger” sign that made an appearance during Monday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals.
The sign was held by an unidentified Maple Leafs fan and, as reported by the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, made a brief appearance on the Air Canada Centre video scoreboard before a quick cut away.
“Overwhelmingly, the reaction has been that it was done in bad taste, that it was inappropriate, that it was classless,” CBC sports reporter Carly Agro said.
“Certainly this is not being received well at all.”
“Toronto Stronger” is a play on “Boston Strong,” the phrase that became widespread across the United States following the Boston Marathon bombings, which killed three people and injured more than 250.
In Boston, last night’s sign sparked major outrage.
As mentioned above, the holder of the “Toronto Stronger” sign is currently unidentified, though the Toronto Sun is asking readers to either call or email the city desk if they know who the person is.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)