May 7, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Bruins fans and the city of Boston are outraged over a “Toronto Stronger” sign that made an appearance during Monday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals.
The sign was held by an unidentified Maple Leafs fan and, as reported by the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, made a brief appearance on the Air Canada Centre video scoreboard before a quick cut away.
“Overwhelmingly, the reaction has been that it was done in bad taste, that it was inappropriate, that it was classless,” CBC sports reporter Carly Agro said.
“Certainly this is not being received well at all.”
“Toronto Stronger” is a play on “Boston Strong,” the phrase that became widespread across the United States following the Boston Marathon bombings, which killed three people and injured more than 250.
In Boston, last night’s sign sparked major outrage.
As mentioned above, the holder of the “Toronto Stronger” sign is currently unidentified, though the Toronto Sun is asking readers to either call or email the city desk if they know who the person is.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)