May 7, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Bruins fans and the city of Boston are outraged over a “Toronto Stronger” sign that made an appearance during Monday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals.
The sign was held by an unidentified Maple Leafs fan and, as reported by the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, made a brief appearance on the Air Canada Centre video scoreboard before a quick cut away.
“Overwhelmingly, the reaction has been that it was done in bad taste, that it was inappropriate, that it was classless,” CBC sports reporter Carly Agro said.
“Certainly this is not being received well at all.”
“Toronto Stronger” is a play on “Boston Strong,” the phrase that became widespread across the United States following the Boston Marathon bombings, which killed three people and injured more than 250.
In Boston, last night’s sign sparked major outrage.
As mentioned above, the holder of the “Toronto Stronger” sign is currently unidentified, though the Toronto Sun is asking readers to either call or email the city desk if they know who the person is.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)