May 7, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
Bruins fans and the city of Boston are outraged over a “Toronto Stronger” sign that made an appearance during Monday’s Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals.
The sign was held by an unidentified Maple Leafs fan and, as reported by the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, made a brief appearance on the Air Canada Centre video scoreboard before a quick cut away.
“Overwhelmingly, the reaction has been that it was done in bad taste, that it was inappropriate, that it was classless,” CBC sports reporter Carly Agro said.
“Certainly this is not being received well at all.”
“Toronto Stronger” is a play on “Boston Strong,” the phrase that became widespread across the United States following the Boston Marathon bombings, which killed three people and injured more than 250.
In Boston, last night’s sign sparked major outrage.
As mentioned above, the holder of the “Toronto Stronger” sign is currently unidentified, though the Toronto Sun is asking readers to either call or email the city desk if they know who the person is.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)