May 7, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
After blowing a 2-0 series lead and allowing more goals in Game 4 than they had in the previous three games combined, St. Louis is a hockey club looking for answers.
Just ask the captain.
“To score three on [Los Angeles] was fine and dandy but to give up four, that’s not our style,” David Backes told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch following Monday’s 4-3 loss at Staples. “We’ve got some soul-searching to do, look in the mirror and bring a better effort and more composed effort when we get home on Wednesday.”
Not too long ago, the Blues were in control of the series.
Granted, it wasn’t much control — their margin of victory in Games 1 and 2 was razor-thin — but they put themselves in prime position by winning the opening two games, as teams leading 2-0 have historically gone on to win 87.3 percent of the time.
Now, they find themselves dead even in a best-of-three.
As for the Kings, it seems as though their approach to the series is really paying off.
That approach? This actually isn’t a series.
“We haven’t looked at it as a series,” head coach Darryl Sutter said following Game 4. “We’ve looked at it as one game at a time because everybody talks about the series and everybody talks about last year, which really has no bearing on anything.
“You just literally play a game at a time.”
The Blues and Kings will resume things on Wednesday at the Scottrade Center (9 p.m. ET, CNBC).
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dallas unsuccessful on that power play.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
He finished the game with four points.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Good news for Nashville.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)