May 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
“I want to reiterate that on Saturday there was no intent to injure,” Abdelkader told the Macomb Daily. “I don’t mean to injure anyone, put anyone at harm.
“I have respect for every one of the players in this hockey league. It’s a privilege that we get to play in the NHL.”
The hit occurred late in the second period of Saturday’s 4-0 loss, with Abdelkader getting a five-minute charging major and game misconduct:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Abdelkader was subsequently suspended two games by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan, who called the hit “violent,” adding the Detroit winger “made significant head contact” with Lydman.
The 26-year-old said the speed and physicality of his game played a role in what transpired.
“I play a hard game, I play physical. I’m going to still play my physical game, get in on the forecheck, finish checks, but I’ve got to be smart about it,” he explained. “The speed of the game, it happens so fast.
“It’s unfortunate what happened.”
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)