May 6, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
“I want to reiterate that on Saturday there was no intent to injure,” Abdelkader told the Macomb Daily. “I don’t mean to injure anyone, put anyone at harm.
“I have respect for every one of the players in this hockey league. It’s a privilege that we get to play in the NHL.”
The hit occurred late in the second period of Saturday’s 4-0 loss, with Abdelkader getting a five-minute charging major and game misconduct:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Abdelkader was subsequently suspended two games by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan, who called the hit “violent,” adding the Detroit winger “made significant head contact” with Lydman.
The 26-year-old said the speed and physicality of his game played a role in what transpired.
“I play a hard game, I play physical. I’m going to still play my physical game, get in on the forecheck, finish checks, but I’ve got to be smart about it,” he explained. “The speed of the game, it happens so fast.
“It’s unfortunate what happened.”
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)