May 6, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Ottawa Senators head coach Paul MacLean’s controversial timeout wasn’t the last dramatic moment of his team’s Game 3 win against the Montreal Canadiens. Habs defenseman Josh Gorges caused quite a stir when he (intentionally?) shot the puck at Senators forward Kyle Turris late in the game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Gorges claims that he was trying to “get the puck down the ice” in a shorthanded situation, as you can see at the very end of this video:
Senators fans with decent memories probably aren’t going to complain too loudly about this. After all, their own captain Daniel Alfredsson was guilty of a similar instance of questionable decision making when he (intentionally?) fired a puck at Scott Niedermayer in the 2007 Stanley Cup finals:
Fun coincidence: both incidents happened in Ottawa.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 5
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 13
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13