May 6, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
The war of words between Montreal and Ottawa continued on Monday, as Habs head coach Michel Therrien accused the Senators of abusing star rookie Brendan Gallagher in Sunday’s 6-1 loss.
Gallagher was in the midst of a number of incidents during Game 3. He drew three first-period roughing penalties from Jared Cowen, Chris Phillips and Chris Neil, then threw down with fellow rookie Cory Conacher in a third-period fight:
As the replay shows, the incident was instigated by Montreal forward Brandon Prust, then quickly followed up on by Gallagher.
While it’s unclear if Ottawa actually planned to go after Gallagher, it certainly made a point of rendering him less effective than in the first two contests.
In Game 1, he scored a power-play goal and finished with a team-high eight shots on net. In Game 2, he notched the game-winning tally while recording four shots on goal.
In Game 3, Gallagher finished an ugly minus-3 and was held off the scoresheet entirely.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 0
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 1
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 26
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)