May 6, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
The war of words between Montreal and Ottawa continued on Monday, as Habs head coach Michel Therrien accused the Senators of abusing star rookie Brendan Gallagher in Sunday’s 6-1 loss.
Gallagher was in the midst of a number of incidents during Game 3. He drew three first-period roughing penalties from Jared Cowen, Chris Phillips and Chris Neil, then threw down with fellow rookie Cory Conacher in a third-period fight:
As the replay shows, the incident was instigated by Montreal forward Brandon Prust, then quickly followed up on by Gallagher.
While it’s unclear if Ottawa actually planned to go after Gallagher, it certainly made a point of rendering him less effective than in the first two contests.
In Game 1, he scored a power-play goal and finished with a team-high eight shots on net. In Game 2, he notched the game-winning tally while recording four shots on goal.
In Game 3, Gallagher finished an ugly minus-3 and was held off the scoresheet entirely.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)