May 6, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Sheldon Souray will return to the Ducks lineup tonight when they take on the Red Wings in Detroit.
He probably wishes it was under different circumstances, though.
Souray, dropped from the lineup after taking a series of bad penalties in a Game 2 loss, will get back in because fellow blueliner Toni Lydman is suffering from the effects of a huge hit from Detroit’s Justin Abdelkader in Game 3.
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed the Souray-for-Lydman move on Monday morning.
Souray, 36, was on the hook for two Detroit goals during a 5-4 OT loss on Thursday, getting nailed for cross-checking and slashing penalties that the Wings converted into goals — including Gustav Nyquist‘s game-winner.
(Ironically enough, both of Souray’s penalties came from beating up on Abdelkader, something he won’t have to worry about for Game 4. The Detroit forward was suspended two games for the Lydman hit.)
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 18
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13