May 6, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Sheldon Souray will return to the Ducks lineup tonight when they take on the Red Wings in Detroit.
He probably wishes it was under different circumstances, though.
Souray, dropped from the lineup after taking a series of bad penalties in a Game 2 loss, will get back in because fellow blueliner Toni Lydman is suffering from the effects of a huge hit from Detroit’s Justin Abdelkader in Game 3.
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed the Souray-for-Lydman move on Monday morning.
Souray, 36, was on the hook for two Detroit goals during a 5-4 OT loss on Thursday, getting nailed for cross-checking and slashing penalties that the Wings converted into goals — including Gustav Nyquist‘s game-winner.
(Ironically enough, both of Souray’s penalties came from beating up on Abdelkader, something he won’t have to worry about for Game 4. The Detroit forward was suspended two games for the Lydman hit.)
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 53
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 41
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 46
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)