May 6, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Sheldon Souray will return to the Ducks lineup tonight when they take on the Red Wings in Detroit.
He probably wishes it was under different circumstances, though.
Souray, dropped from the lineup after taking a series of bad penalties in a Game 2 loss, will get back in because fellow blueliner Toni Lydman is suffering from the effects of a huge hit from Detroit’s Justin Abdelkader in Game 3.
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed the Souray-for-Lydman move on Monday morning.
Souray, 36, was on the hook for two Detroit goals during a 5-4 OT loss on Thursday, getting nailed for cross-checking and slashing penalties that the Wings converted into goals — including Gustav Nyquist‘s game-winner.
(Ironically enough, both of Souray’s penalties came from beating up on Abdelkader, something he won’t have to worry about for Game 4. The Detroit forward was suspended two games for the Lydman hit.)
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)