May 6, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Sheldon Souray will return to the Ducks lineup tonight when they take on the Red Wings in Detroit.
He probably wishes it was under different circumstances, though.
Souray, dropped from the lineup after taking a series of bad penalties in a Game 2 loss, will get back in because fellow blueliner Toni Lydman is suffering from the effects of a huge hit from Detroit’s Justin Abdelkader in Game 3.
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed the Souray-for-Lydman move on Monday morning.
Souray, 36, was on the hook for two Detroit goals during a 5-4 OT loss on Thursday, getting nailed for cross-checking and slashing penalties that the Wings converted into goals — including Gustav Nyquist‘s game-winner.
(Ironically enough, both of Souray’s penalties came from beating up on Abdelkader, something he won’t have to worry about for Game 4. The Detroit forward was suspended two games for the Lydman hit.)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 39
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)