May 6, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
Sheldon Souray will return to the Ducks lineup tonight when they take on the Red Wings in Detroit.
He probably wishes it was under different circumstances, though.
Souray, dropped from the lineup after taking a series of bad penalties in a Game 2 loss, will get back in because fellow blueliner Toni Lydman is suffering from the effects of a huge hit from Detroit’s Justin Abdelkader in Game 3.
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau confirmed the Souray-for-Lydman move on Monday morning.
Souray, 36, was on the hook for two Detroit goals during a 5-4 OT loss on Thursday, getting nailed for cross-checking and slashing penalties that the Wings converted into goals — including Gustav Nyquist‘s game-winner.
(Ironically enough, both of Souray’s penalties came from beating up on Abdelkader, something he won’t have to worry about for Game 4. The Detroit forward was suspended two games for the Lydman hit.)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)