May 6, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said Roberto Luongo wasn’t the problem in their first two losses to the San Jose Sharks, but he still replaced him with a now healthy Cory Schneider for Game 3. For that, the San Jose Sharks thank him.
Actually, the Sharks did face Luongo on Sunday, but not before they beat Schneider five times on 28 shots. Roberto Luongo came into the game early in the third period and stopped 10 straight shots.
“I felt pretty good until the start of the third period,” Schneider told the Vancouver Sun. “I just didn’t do enough, didn’t keep my team in it, didn’t give them a chance to win. I just let them down in a big way. It’s a real disappointing feeling.”
So with the Canucks down 3-0 in this series, who should start in Game 4 on Tuesday?
“If I’m called upon, I’ll be ready.” Luongo said. “If not, Cory will be ready as well. It’s his team and whatever happens I will be 100 per cent supportive.”
Either way, the Vancouver Canucks need to step up offensively or the goaltending debate will be moot.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)