May 6, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Logan Couture will take the hits for a chance to score.
That’s what the Sharks forward said following a 5-2 win over the Canucks in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal, during which San Jose went 3-for-8 with the man advantage.
“I’ll take it all day,” Couture told the San Jose Mercury News. “They can do whatever they want. They’re going to end up in the box and I’ll gladly take the power play chance and try to score.”
Couture, who finished the game with 2G-2A, referenced this shot to the face from Canucks captain Henrik Sedin early in the third period, with the Sharks leading 4-1 and the Canucks visibly frustrated:
Almost on command, it was Couture who converted the power-play opportunity, scoring just 21 seconds into the man advantage.
The 24-year-old has been a thorn in Vancouver’s side throughout this series. He’s tied for the playoff scoring lead with six points (through three games) and has been an absolute beast in the faceoff circle, winning 64.7 percent of his draws.
He also showed the experience of a player beyond his age. Rather than get caught up in the emotions of Game 3 (like, say, every member of the Senators and Canadiens), Couture focused at the task at hand.
“Enjoy this for a couple minutes, come to the rink tomorrow, get ready for the next game,” Couture said following the win. “They’re going to give everything they have, their season is on the line.”
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)