May 6, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Logan Couture will take the hits for a chance to score.
That’s what the Sharks forward said following a 5-2 win over the Canucks in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal, during which San Jose went 3-for-8 with the man advantage.
“I’ll take it all day,” Couture told the San Jose Mercury News. “They can do whatever they want. They’re going to end up in the box and I’ll gladly take the power play chance and try to score.”
Couture, who finished the game with 2G-2A, referenced this shot to the face from Canucks captain Henrik Sedin early in the third period, with the Sharks leading 4-1 and the Canucks visibly frustrated:
Almost on command, it was Couture who converted the power-play opportunity, scoring just 21 seconds into the man advantage.
The 24-year-old has been a thorn in Vancouver’s side throughout this series. He’s tied for the playoff scoring lead with six points (through three games) and has been an absolute beast in the faceoff circle, winning 64.7 percent of his draws.
He also showed the experience of a player beyond his age. Rather than get caught up in the emotions of Game 3 (like, say, every member of the Senators and Canadiens), Couture focused at the task at hand.
“Enjoy this for a couple minutes, come to the rink tomorrow, get ready for the next game,” Couture said following the win. “They’re going to give everything they have, their season is on the line.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)