May 6, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Logan Couture will take the hits for a chance to score.
That’s what the Sharks forward said following a 5-2 win over the Canucks in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal, during which San Jose went 3-for-8 with the man advantage.
“I’ll take it all day,” Couture told the San Jose Mercury News. “They can do whatever they want. They’re going to end up in the box and I’ll gladly take the power play chance and try to score.”
Couture, who finished the game with 2G-2A, referenced this shot to the face from Canucks captain Henrik Sedin early in the third period, with the Sharks leading 4-1 and the Canucks visibly frustrated:
Almost on command, it was Couture who converted the power-play opportunity, scoring just 21 seconds into the man advantage.
The 24-year-old has been a thorn in Vancouver’s side throughout this series. He’s tied for the playoff scoring lead with six points (through three games) and has been an absolute beast in the faceoff circle, winning 64.7 percent of his draws.
He also showed the experience of a player beyond his age. Rather than get caught up in the emotions of Game 3 (like, say, every member of the Senators and Canadiens), Couture focused at the task at hand.
“Enjoy this for a couple minutes, come to the rink tomorrow, get ready for the next game,” Couture said following the win. “They’re going to give everything they have, their season is on the line.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)