May 6, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Logan Couture will take the hits for a chance to score.
That’s what the Sharks forward said following a 5-2 win over the Canucks in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal, during which San Jose went 3-for-8 with the man advantage.
“I’ll take it all day,” Couture told the San Jose Mercury News. “They can do whatever they want. They’re going to end up in the box and I’ll gladly take the power play chance and try to score.”
Couture, who finished the game with 2G-2A, referenced this shot to the face from Canucks captain Henrik Sedin early in the third period, with the Sharks leading 4-1 and the Canucks visibly frustrated:
Almost on command, it was Couture who converted the power-play opportunity, scoring just 21 seconds into the man advantage.
The 24-year-old has been a thorn in Vancouver’s side throughout this series. He’s tied for the playoff scoring lead with six points (through three games) and has been an absolute beast in the faceoff circle, winning 64.7 percent of his draws.
He also showed the experience of a player beyond his age. Rather than get caught up in the emotions of Game 3 (like, say, every member of the Senators and Canadiens), Couture focused at the task at hand.
“Enjoy this for a couple minutes, come to the rink tomorrow, get ready for the next game,” Couture said following the win. “They’re going to give everything they have, their season is on the line.”
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 33
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 2
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 61
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)