May 6, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Logan Couture will take the hits for a chance to score.
That’s what the Sharks forward said following a 5-2 win over the Canucks in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal, during which San Jose went 3-for-8 with the man advantage.
“I’ll take it all day,” Couture told the San Jose Mercury News. “They can do whatever they want. They’re going to end up in the box and I’ll gladly take the power play chance and try to score.”
Couture, who finished the game with 2G-2A, referenced this shot to the face from Canucks captain Henrik Sedin early in the third period, with the Sharks leading 4-1 and the Canucks visibly frustrated:
Almost on command, it was Couture who converted the power-play opportunity, scoring just 21 seconds into the man advantage.
The 24-year-old has been a thorn in Vancouver’s side throughout this series. He’s tied for the playoff scoring lead with six points (through three games) and has been an absolute beast in the faceoff circle, winning 64.7 percent of his draws.
He also showed the experience of a player beyond his age. Rather than get caught up in the emotions of Game 3 (like, say, every member of the Senators and Canadiens), Couture focused at the task at hand.
“Enjoy this for a couple minutes, come to the rink tomorrow, get ready for the next game,” Couture said following the win. “They’re going to give everything they have, their season is on the line.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)