May 6, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
It’s official: there will be an outdoor NHL game played at Dodger Stadium between the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks.
The game — which has been rumored for a while now — is set for Jan. 25, 2014, at 7 p.m. PT.
“With their meeting in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, the Ducks and the Kings will write the next chapter in the exciting story of NHL hockey in Southern California,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a release. “At a venue that represents so much glorious sports history, this match-up of Stanley Cup champions will raise our outdoor initiatives to bold new heights. We know the game will be a treat for our fans, and we thank the Ducks, the Kings, Coors Light, Dodger Stadium and the Los Angeles Dodgers for bringing it to life.”
In case you’re wondering, the average high temperature for Los Angeles in January is 68 degrees, with a low of 48.
Granted, for outdoor games, the temperature isn’t really a major concern. It’s when the sun beats down on the ice that problems can occur. Hence, the evening start time.
The start time also suggests this is meant to be more of a local event, as opposed to, say, the Winter Classic.
“This is a credit to our fans and the amazing support they have shown to us and the NHL these past few years,” said former Kings player Luc Robitaille, who’s now in charge of business operations for the team. “This will be a sporting event like no other that has ever been seen in Southern California and we are proud to be a part of it.”
The Dodger Stadium game is part of the NHL’s 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series.
The 2014 Winter Classic goes Jan 1, 2014, at Michigan Stadium between Toronto and Detroit.
The Blackhawks will play the Pittsburgh Penguins on March 1, 2014 at Soldier Field in Chicago.
Other games that could reportedly be announced are:
Jan. 26: New Jersey vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
Jan. 29: NY Islanders vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
March 2: 2014 Heritage Classic – Ottawa vs. Vancouver at BC Place
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)