May 6, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
It’s official: there will be an outdoor NHL game played at Dodger Stadium between the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks.
The game — which has been rumored for a while now — is set for Jan. 25, 2014, at 7 p.m. PT.
“With their meeting in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, the Ducks and the Kings will write the next chapter in the exciting story of NHL hockey in Southern California,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a release. “At a venue that represents so much glorious sports history, this match-up of Stanley Cup champions will raise our outdoor initiatives to bold new heights. We know the game will be a treat for our fans, and we thank the Ducks, the Kings, Coors Light, Dodger Stadium and the Los Angeles Dodgers for bringing it to life.”
In case you’re wondering, the average high temperature for Los Angeles in January is 68 degrees, with a low of 48.
Granted, for outdoor games, the temperature isn’t really a major concern. It’s when the sun beats down on the ice that problems can occur. Hence, the evening start time.
The start time also suggests this is meant to be more of a local event, as opposed to, say, the Winter Classic.
“This is a credit to our fans and the amazing support they have shown to us and the NHL these past few years,” said former Kings player Luc Robitaille, who’s now in charge of business operations for the team. “This will be a sporting event like no other that has ever been seen in Southern California and we are proud to be a part of it.”
The Dodger Stadium game is part of the NHL’s 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series.
The 2014 Winter Classic goes Jan 1, 2014, at Michigan Stadium between Toronto and Detroit.
The Blackhawks will play the Pittsburgh Penguins on March 1, 2014 at Soldier Field in Chicago.
Other games that could reportedly be announced are:
Jan. 26: New Jersey vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
Jan. 29: NY Islanders vs. NY Rangers at Yankee Stadium
March 2: 2014 Heritage Classic – Ottawa vs. Vancouver at BC Place
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46