May 6, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-upped with one of their pleasant blueline surprises from this season.
“We are extremely happy to have Radko signed for another three years today,” GM Steve Yzerman said in a statement. “He played well in his first NHL season and we look forward to him playing an important role on our defense in the coming years.”
Gudas, 22, started the year with AHL Syracuse but quickly worked his way into the Bolts lineup, appearing in 22 games while recording two goals, five points and plus-3 rating.
He also racked up 38 PIM while playing close to 17 minutes per evening.
In March, former head coach Guy Boucher praised Gudas’ ferocity.
“He’s a head hunter,” Boucher told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s one of those guys that hits you clean but extremely hard.”
Gudas, 22, was taken by Tampa in the third round (66th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He was set to become a restricted free agent this summer.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)