May 6, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-upped with one of their pleasant blueline surprises from this season.
“We are extremely happy to have Radko signed for another three years today,” GM Steve Yzerman said in a statement. “He played well in his first NHL season and we look forward to him playing an important role on our defense in the coming years.”
Gudas, 22, started the year with AHL Syracuse but quickly worked his way into the Bolts lineup, appearing in 22 games while recording two goals, five points and plus-3 rating.
He also racked up 38 PIM while playing close to 17 minutes per evening.
In March, former head coach Guy Boucher praised Gudas’ ferocity.
“He’s a head hunter,” Boucher told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s one of those guys that hits you clean but extremely hard.”
Gudas, 22, was taken by Tampa in the third round (66th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He was set to become a restricted free agent this summer.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20