May 6, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-upped with one of their pleasant blueline surprises from this season.
“We are extremely happy to have Radko signed for another three years today,” GM Steve Yzerman said in a statement. “He played well in his first NHL season and we look forward to him playing an important role on our defense in the coming years.”
Gudas, 22, started the year with AHL Syracuse but quickly worked his way into the Bolts lineup, appearing in 22 games while recording two goals, five points and plus-3 rating.
He also racked up 38 PIM while playing close to 17 minutes per evening.
In March, former head coach Guy Boucher praised Gudas’ ferocity.
“He’s a head hunter,” Boucher told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s one of those guys that hits you clean but extremely hard.”
Gudas, 22, was taken by Tampa in the third round (66th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He was set to become a restricted free agent this summer.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)