May 6, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-upped with one of their pleasant blueline surprises from this season.
“We are extremely happy to have Radko signed for another three years today,” GM Steve Yzerman said in a statement. “He played well in his first NHL season and we look forward to him playing an important role on our defense in the coming years.”
Gudas, 22, started the year with AHL Syracuse but quickly worked his way into the Bolts lineup, appearing in 22 games while recording two goals, five points and plus-3 rating.
He also racked up 38 PIM while playing close to 17 minutes per evening.
In March, former head coach Guy Boucher praised Gudas’ ferocity.
“He’s a head hunter,” Boucher told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s one of those guys that hits you clean but extremely hard.”
Gudas, 22, was taken by Tampa in the third round (66th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He was set to become a restricted free agent this summer.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 19
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 41
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9