May 6, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Canadiens winger Brendan Gallagher, Panthers center Jonathan Huberdeau, and Blackhawks winger Brandon Saad are the three finalists for the 2012-13 Calder Memorial Trophy, awarded to the NHL’s rookie of the year.
Gallagher, 21, had 15 goals and 28 points in 44 games, while also providing Montreal with much-needed grit up front, despite being listed at just 5-foot-9 and 178 pounds.
Huberdeau, 19, tied for the lead among rookie scorers with 31 points in 48 games. He also played the most of the three candidates, averaging 16:55 of ice time.
Saad, 20, had 10 goals and 17 assists in 46 games. The Pittsburgh native was drafted 43rd overall in 2011.
Notable “snubs,” if you want to call them that, include:
Cory Conacher — finished third in rookie scoring with 29 points for both Tampa Bay and Ottawa.
Justin Schultz — the Oilers’ defenseman averaged 21:26 of ice time and racked up 27 points, the most of any rookie blue-liner.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 8
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 37
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)