May 6, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
With just three goals in three games, the LA Kings aren’t scoring on many of their first opportunities.
As such, they’re now focusing on second chances.
“He’s a good goalie. He makes the first save pretty much every time,” Doughty explained. “I think the one area he struggles is he lets some rebounds, and I think we haven’t been doing a good enough job of pouncing on those rebounds and putting in the second effort.”
The Kings have been out-shot in two of three games and 97-79 overall. They sit 14th among the 16 playoff teams in shots on goal per game (26.3) down slightly from the 29.8 they averaged through the regular season.
The feeling among players is that working for rebounds plays into a larger theme for success — specifically, getting more traffic on goal.
LA has some big bodies up front and feels it hasn’t done enough hard work in front of the net.
“We need to beat guys to the net,” forward Justin Williams explained. “We need to throw more pucks to the net. Sometimes I feel when you’re playing hockey, sometimes the puck that you shoot that you don’t think is going in ends up going in.
“It’s just getting it there, and we need to do a lot more of that.”
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Team Foligno running away with this.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 PM EST
That’s an all-time screencap right there.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Team Foligno sweeps first competition.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
Johnny Hockey gets the nod.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Has gone from forward to defense, back to forward and back to defense.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
He’s ranked fourth in Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:23 PM EST
Bragging rights on the line.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:21 PM EST
And what will the team look like?
Jan 24, 2015, 4:55 PM EST
It’s expected to be around $71.6 million to $72.2 million for the 2015-16 season.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:09 PM EST
Slovenia’s (and Los Angeles’) Anze Kopitar figures to play a prominent role.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:02 PM EST
Will fans care? Is it fair?
Jan 24, 2015, 2:34 PM EST
“People are intrigued by this. There are going to be great storylines.”
Jan 24, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
Gillette Stadium, TCF Bank Stadium and Coors Field will play hosts
Jan 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
It all gets going at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 5
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)