May 6, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
With just three goals in three games, the LA Kings aren’t scoring on many of their first opportunities.
As such, they’re now focusing on second chances.
“He’s a good goalie. He makes the first save pretty much every time,” Doughty explained. “I think the one area he struggles is he lets some rebounds, and I think we haven’t been doing a good enough job of pouncing on those rebounds and putting in the second effort.”
The Kings have been out-shot in two of three games and 97-79 overall. They sit 14th among the 16 playoff teams in shots on goal per game (26.3) down slightly from the 29.8 they averaged through the regular season.
The feeling among players is that working for rebounds plays into a larger theme for success — specifically, getting more traffic on goal.
LA has some big bodies up front and feels it hasn’t done enough hard work in front of the net.
“We need to beat guys to the net,” forward Justin Williams explained. “We need to throw more pucks to the net. Sometimes I feel when you’re playing hockey, sometimes the puck that you shoot that you don’t think is going in ends up going in.
“It’s just getting it there, and we need to do a lot more of that.”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)