May 6, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
The brooms will be out Tuesday in San Jose after the Sharks blew out the Canucks, 5-2, Sunday at HP Pavilion.
San Jose now leads the first-round series, 3-0, and will try not to look past Vancouver before finishing the job in Game 4.
For the Canucks, it’s almost eery how similar the 2013 playoffs have been to last year, when they went out in five to the Kings in the first round. In both series, goalie Roberto Luongo got the start in the first two games — at home against a lower seed — and lost twice. Also in both series, Cory Schneider came in for Game 3 on the road, but couldn’t turn the tide.
Granted, like last year, goaltending hasn’t been the biggest issue for Vancouver. The Canucks just can’t score anymore.
Some discussion points:
—- Fun fact for Sharks fans: the last three teams to beat the Canucks in the playoffs won the Stanley Cup.
—- Fun fact II for Sharks fans: Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau scored twice in nine seconds in the third period, but it wasn’t the fastest two goals in San Jose playoff history. The club record is eight seconds, by John MacLean and Ron Sutter in 1998.
— Not only did Couture finish with two goals and two assists, he was practically unbeatable in the faceoff circle.
—- Is Joe Pavelski the best third-line center in the NHL right now? They used to say that about Jordan Staal when he was in Pittsburgh, but then he was traded to Carolina. Pavelski had San Jose’s first two goals in Game 3, both on neat redirects.
—- Schneider was pulled after allowing five goals, including three in the opening minutes of the third period. Who will get the nod for the Canucks on Tuesday? Does it even matter?
—- Is there any way head coach Alain Vigneault keeps his job if the Canucks lose to San Jose, which it appears they will? If he’s fired, would it be the right call, or is it general manager Mike Gillis who deserves the blame for the team’s failings the past two years? Is a major roster shakeup required, or do they give it one more year with the current group? The Sedins have one more year remaining on their contracts before they can become unrestricted free agents.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)