May 6, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
While there’s no guarantee we’ll see him tonight, the bet is that Staal — who’s been sidelined since March 5 when he was struck in the eye with a puck during a game against the Philadelphia Flyers — will be in the lineup at Madison Square Garden for Game 3 of the Rangers’ series with the Capitals.
Washington leads the series, 2-0.
If Staal does play, how many minutes he’s able to log will be worth watching. During the regular season, he averaged 24:27 per game, second to Dan Girardi‘s 25:25.
Related: Ryane Clowe expected to play
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)