May 5, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Phaneuf didn’t receive a penalty as a result of the incident and he won’t be fined or suspended either, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
Paille felt the hit was similar to the one that led to Boston Bruins defense Andrew Ference missing Saturday’s contest due to a one-game suspension. However, Paille added that there were “slight differences as well.”
If you want to see Phaneuf’s hit, you can do so below:
Paille hasn’t seen that video, but he’s confident Phaneuf hit him in the head.
“I’m not sure if it was shoulder or arm, or anything,” said Paille told CSN New England. “He’s a big hitter. I stood up and didn’t fall. I think that’s a big reason why [there was no penalty or suspension].
“Plays like that are called normally. Not always, but normally. During a game when a play like that isn’t called you get frustrated by it.”
Toronto went on to claim Game 2, which evens the series going into Game 3 on Monday.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 0
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 7
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 18
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20