May 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
It looks like that might not be the end of Abdelkader’s punishment though, as the NHL has scheduled a hearing with him for 4 p.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. It will be conducted over the phone, which means that his suspension won’t exceed five games.
If you missed the incident, you can view it below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Abdelkader didn’t answer questions after the contest, but Red Wings coach Mike Babcock felt the hit was clean. Detroit captain Henrik Zetterberg added that he doesn’t think Abdelkader will be suspended.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)