May 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
It looks like that might not be the end of Abdelkader’s punishment though, as the NHL has scheduled a hearing with him for 4 p.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. It will be conducted over the phone, which means that his suspension won’t exceed five games.
If you missed the incident, you can view it below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Abdelkader didn’t answer questions after the contest, but Red Wings coach Mike Babcock felt the hit was clean. Detroit captain Henrik Zetterberg added that he doesn’t think Abdelkader will be suspended.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)