May 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
It looks like that might not be the end of Abdelkader’s punishment though, as the NHL has scheduled a hearing with him for 4 p.m. ET, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. It will be conducted over the phone, which means that his suspension won’t exceed five games.
If you missed the incident, you can view it below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Abdelkader didn’t answer questions after the contest, but Red Wings coach Mike Babcock felt the hit was clean. Detroit captain Henrik Zetterberg added that he doesn’t think Abdelkader will be suspended.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)