May 5, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
As the old adage states, don’t let the highs get too high and don’t let the lows get too low.
It’s something Jack Capuano has taken to heart — especially the latter part.
The Isles’ head coach was trying to maintain an even keel after Sunday’s hearbreaking 5-4 OT loss to the Penguins, the first playoff game at Nassau Coliseum since 2007.
“Sun’s going to come up tomorrow, it takes four to win the series,” Capuano said after the game. “You’re going to face some adversity.”
The Isles certainly faced some in Game 3.
After jumping out to a 2-0 lead, New York surrendered four straight tallies and went into the third period down 4-2 — only to rip off a scoring streak of its down, notching two goals in a 5:19 stretch.
Then, more adversity for the Isles.
Defenseman Brian Strait was whistled for holding at the 8:11 mark — obstructing Pens captain Sidney Crosby — and the Pens took almost immediate advantage as Crosby set up Chris Kunitz for the game-winner 33 seconds later.
The Isles won’t have much time to dwell on the loss. The two teams get back at it on Tuesday night, and New York will need to do everything in its power to avoid going behind 3-1 in the series.
According to NHL.com, teams have trailed 3-1 in a best-of-seven series a total of 229 times — and have come back to win the series on just 20 occasions, or 8.7 percent of the time.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
They beat the Sharks 3-2 via a shootout.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
His Bruins beat Calgary 2-1 on Tuesday.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ben Scrivens must feel a little less special.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
He said this is his worst stretch with the team.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Nashville ends a five-game skid.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin made the Lightning pay.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
At least he made it longer than Braden Holtby.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens are holding down the fort.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
Mike Green also gets a game misconduct.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
GMs sing his praises, too.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
It won’t happen in 2014-15, though.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
It’s a hot-button issue in the wake of Saturday’s Boston-Pittsburgh game.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Phoenix has just two wins in its last eight.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
A loaded Detroit roster gets… more loaded.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
‘Hawks no like.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)