May 5, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
As the old adage states, don’t let the highs get too high and don’t let the lows get too low.
It’s something Jack Capuano has taken to heart — especially the latter part.
The Isles’ head coach was trying to maintain an even keel after Sunday’s hearbreaking 5-4 OT loss to the Penguins, the first playoff game at Nassau Coliseum since 2007.
“Sun’s going to come up tomorrow, it takes four to win the series,” Capuano said after the game. “You’re going to face some adversity.”
The Isles certainly faced some in Game 3.
After jumping out to a 2-0 lead, New York surrendered four straight tallies and went into the third period down 4-2 — only to rip off a scoring streak of its down, notching two goals in a 5:19 stretch.
Then, more adversity for the Isles.
Defenseman Brian Strait was whistled for holding at the 8:11 mark — obstructing Pens captain Sidney Crosby — and the Pens took almost immediate advantage as Crosby set up Chris Kunitz for the game-winner 33 seconds later.
The Isles won’t have much time to dwell on the loss. The two teams get back at it on Tuesday night, and New York will need to do everything in its power to avoid going behind 3-1 in the series.
According to NHL.com, teams have trailed 3-1 in a best-of-seven series a total of 229 times — and have come back to win the series on just 20 occasions, or 8.7 percent of the time.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
St. Louis has had Minnesota’s (and the league’s) number lately.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Los Angeles took its seventh win in a row despite the incident.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Keeping pace with other West powers.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Don’t worry, they won’t join the Washington Generals.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Impressively, he returned to action in the second period.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Patrick Kane comes home.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound great for their would-be starter.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Calgary releases a statement on the matter.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)