May 5, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Islanders each coughed up two goals leads as the momentum shifted wildly throughout this contest. At the end of the day, the Pittsburgh Penguins gained the series lead on the strength of a pair of Chris Kunitz‘s power-play goals assisted by Sidney Crosby.
Here are some talking points for the Penguins’ 5-4 overtime win:
- The New York Islanders were a below average penalty killing team in the regular season and they’ve shown an inability to contain the Penguins when they’re down a man in this series. Pittsburgh has converted on six of their 13 power-play opportunities in the first round, but to be fair to the Islanders, Kyle Okposo did score a shorthanded goal in the third period.
- The Penguins acquisitions near the trade deadline played a big role in this game. Jarome Iginla cut the Islanders’ early lead in half and Douglas Murray netted what proved to be a key goal late in the second period.
- John Tavares was limited to just one assist in his first two playoff games, but he forced this match to overtime. It wasn’t enough for the Islanders today, but it probably won’t be the last we see of him in this series.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins showed some faith in Marc-Andre Fleury by keeping him in the game after allowing two early goals. Tomas Vokoun gives them a viable alternative, but it doesn’t look like Fleury is on a short leash.
- The Islanders were 10-11-3 at home during the regular season. Is playing at Nassau Coliseum much of an advantage for the Islanders?
Dec 20, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
He might shatter some career-highs this season.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
He’s shooting for Dec. 27 against Boston.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Larsson went to the AHL on a conditioning assignment.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
Saturday’s slew of starting goalies.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Tampa Bay’s top goalie faced shots this morning.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Good luck trying to forecast their lines for Saturday.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
In case you missed it.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
They believe that it isn’t a long-term issue.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Dec 20, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
It’s unclear what the specific ailment is.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Absurd might be the right word.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
As it turns out, the hockey exec’s name rhymes nicely with “must go.”
Dec 20, 2014, 12:09 AM EST
They label Jimmy Howard as day-to-day.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
They fell to Winnipeg 2-1 on Friday.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Then again, maybe the Ryan – Zibanejad – Hoffman line was just that good.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:01 PM EST
A beauty in regulation and in the shootout.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
Sven Andrighetto is back up while Eric Tangradi heads to the AHL.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
They’re playing safe for “precautionary” reasons.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:43 PM EST
It’s been 2,599 days since that last happened.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:47 PM EST
Let’s hope it’s just that type of illness …
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 35
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28