May 5, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Islanders each coughed up two goals leads as the momentum shifted wildly throughout this contest. At the end of the day, the Pittsburgh Penguins gained the series lead on the strength of a pair of Chris Kunitz‘s power-play goals assisted by Sidney Crosby.
Here are some talking points for the Penguins’ 5-4 overtime win:
- The New York Islanders were a below average penalty killing team in the regular season and they’ve shown an inability to contain the Penguins when they’re down a man in this series. Pittsburgh has converted on six of their 13 power-play opportunities in the first round, but to be fair to the Islanders, Kyle Okposo did score a shorthanded goal in the third period.
- The Penguins acquisitions near the trade deadline played a big role in this game. Jarome Iginla cut the Islanders’ early lead in half and Douglas Murray netted what proved to be a key goal late in the second period.
- John Tavares was limited to just one assist in his first two playoff games, but he forced this match to overtime. It wasn’t enough for the Islanders today, but it probably won’t be the last we see of him in this series.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins showed some faith in Marc-Andre Fleury by keeping him in the game after allowing two early goals. Tomas Vokoun gives them a viable alternative, but it doesn’t look like Fleury is on a short leash.
- The Islanders were 10-11-3 at home during the regular season. Is playing at Nassau Coliseum much of an advantage for the Islanders?
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 0
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Datsyuk, Mrazek powers Red Wings past Lightning in Game 1 30