May 5, 2013, 12:58 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings, on home ice, were able to hold on for a 1-0 shutout victory over the St. Louis Blues in Game 3 of the best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final.
The Blues still lead the series 2-1, but, with the chance to put the defending Stanley Cup champs on the brink of a first-round elimination, couldn’t solve Kings goalie Jonathan Quick.
Some early talking points from this one.
- Jonathan Quick was hard on himself for the two L.A. losses in St. Louis. But he was perfect in Game 3, stopping all 30 shots he faced.
- Another low scoring game between these two teams. The Blues and Kings have combined for just seven goals in three games. Still been entertaining hockey, though. Great goaltending and physical play have dominated this series, and what is wrong with that?
- Slava Voynov scored the lone goal of the night at 4:56 of the second period after a wild goal-mouth scramble in front of Blues’ goalie Brian Elliott.
- The Blues were awarded a power play early in the third period when L.A. defenseman Drew Doughty reacted to David Perron knocking over Quick, who had his goalie mask knocked off in the melee. Doughty shoved Perron into the net and threw about three or four jabs with his opponent on the ice. Both players received penalties, but Doughty was called for the extra roughing minor, giving the Blues a man advantage.
- Probably going to be some sore bodies after this one. The Blues and Kings combined for 92 registered hits.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)