May 5, 2013, 12:58 AM EST
The L.A. Kings, on home ice, were able to hold on for a 1-0 shutout victory over the St. Louis Blues in Game 3 of the best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final.
The Blues still lead the series 2-1, but, with the chance to put the defending Stanley Cup champs on the brink of a first-round elimination, couldn’t solve Kings goalie Jonathan Quick.
Some early talking points from this one.
- Jonathan Quick was hard on himself for the two L.A. losses in St. Louis. But he was perfect in Game 3, stopping all 30 shots he faced.
- Another low scoring game between these two teams. The Blues and Kings have combined for just seven goals in three games. Still been entertaining hockey, though. Great goaltending and physical play have dominated this series, and what is wrong with that?
- Slava Voynov scored the lone goal of the night at 4:56 of the second period after a wild goal-mouth scramble in front of Blues’ goalie Brian Elliott.
- The Blues were awarded a power play early in the third period when L.A. defenseman Drew Doughty reacted to David Perron knocking over Quick, who had his goalie mask knocked off in the melee. Doughty shoved Perron into the net and threw about three or four jabs with his opponent on the ice. Both players received penalties, but Doughty was called for the extra roughing minor, giving the Blues a man advantage.
- Probably going to be some sore bodies after this one. The Blues and Kings combined for 92 registered hits.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
That’s on top of Johnny Boychuk’s injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Veteran d-man will be parked in the press box in Buffalo tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Minnesota’s in Dallas tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
“Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.”
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)