May 5, 2013, 12:58 AM EST
The L.A. Kings, on home ice, were able to hold on for a 1-0 shutout victory over the St. Louis Blues in Game 3 of the best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final.
The Blues still lead the series 2-1, but, with the chance to put the defending Stanley Cup champs on the brink of a first-round elimination, couldn’t solve Kings goalie Jonathan Quick.
Some early talking points from this one.
- Jonathan Quick was hard on himself for the two L.A. losses in St. Louis. But he was perfect in Game 3, stopping all 30 shots he faced.
- Another low scoring game between these two teams. The Blues and Kings have combined for just seven goals in three games. Still been entertaining hockey, though. Great goaltending and physical play have dominated this series, and what is wrong with that?
- Slava Voynov scored the lone goal of the night at 4:56 of the second period after a wild goal-mouth scramble in front of Blues’ goalie Brian Elliott.
- The Blues were awarded a power play early in the third period when L.A. defenseman Drew Doughty reacted to David Perron knocking over Quick, who had his goalie mask knocked off in the melee. Doughty shoved Perron into the net and threw about three or four jabs with his opponent on the ice. Both players received penalties, but Doughty was called for the extra roughing minor, giving the Blues a man advantage.
- Probably going to be some sore bodies after this one. The Blues and Kings combined for 92 registered hits.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
He played less than five minutes against the Coyotes.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have put him on unconditional waivers.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
There was some controversy surrounding the goal.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Nine suspensions totaling 38 games, with more likely on the way.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
If all goes well, he could be back on Dec. 27, according to Fletcher.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
Pittsburgh’s forward got a penalty.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
New York comes back but can’t get two points.
Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
It’s not a concussion.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Could the World Junior tournament be next?
Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
Veteran forward had been playing in AHL Grand Rapids.
Dec 18, 2013, 8:29 PM EST
Should be the first of many, based on his junior career.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
He hasn’t played since Nov. 30.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
“It is home.”
Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 PM EST
Plans are for him to rejoin the team in Winnipeg on Dec. 27.
Dec 18, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
“If they’re waiting for a coaching change, they’re going to be waiting a long time.”
Dec 18, 2013, 5:24 PM EST
Already has 22 goals this season.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 20
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 44
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 40
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)