May 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Sidney Crosby had a great game, with three assists in 24:08 minutes of playing time, but that’s not what Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma liked most about the Penguins’ captain on Sunday.
“The best set-up he had was drawing that penalty,” Bylsma said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Bylsma was referring to Islanders defenseman Brian Strait‘s holding penalty on Crosby at 8:11 of the overtime period.
That led to the Penguins’ game-winning goal, but Bylsma’s remarks will likely get under the skin of the Islanders’ faithful, given that some disagreed with the call.
Islanders coach Jack Capuano wouldn’t comment on the call directly, but was clearly displeased in his post-game presser.
“I don’t normally comment on the call, I just hope that they’re consistent on how they [officials] make calls throughout the game,” he explained. “I can sit here and say what I want, but it’s not going to do any good.
“It’s not an excuse on why we lost the hockey game.”
Mike Milbury was more direct in his analysis.
“Didn’t like the call,” Milbury said. “Thought it was a marginal call, I think officials in overtime have to be 100 percent sure.
“When you look at this, [Strait] raises his hand, then there’s a slight pull, and then he [gestures that] ‘I didn’t do anything.’
“Not long enough to knock a strong skater like Crosby — in my opinion — off of his skates.”
You can see the result of that penalty below:
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 1
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 18
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)