May 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby had a great game, with three assists in 24:08 minutes of playing time, but that’s not what Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma liked most about the Penguins’ captain on Sunday.
“The best set-up he had was drawing that penalty,” Bylsma said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Bylsma was referring to Islanders defenseman Brian Strait‘s holding penalty on Crosby at 8:11 of the overtime period.
That led to the Penguins’ game-winning goal, but Bylsma’s remarks will likely get under the skin of the Islanders’ faithful, given that some disagreed with the call.
Islanders coach Jack Capuano wouldn’t comment on the call directly, but was clearly displeased in his post-game presser.
“I don’t normally comment on the call, I just hope that they’re consistent on how they [officials] make calls throughout the game,” he explained. “I can sit here and say what I want, but it’s not going to do any good.
“It’s not an excuse on why we lost the hockey game.”
Mike Milbury was more direct in his analysis.
“Didn’t like the call,” Milbury said. “Thought it was a marginal call, I think officials in overtime have to be 100 percent sure.
“When you look at this, [Strait] raises his hand, then there’s a slight pull, and then he [gestures that] ‘I didn’t do anything.’
“Not long enough to knock a strong skater like Crosby — in my opinion — off of his skates.”
You can see the result of that penalty below:
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)