May 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby had a great game, with three assists in 24:08 minutes of playing time, but that’s not what Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma liked most about the Penguins’ captain on Sunday.
“The best set-up he had was drawing that penalty,” Bylsma said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Bylsma was referring to Islanders defenseman Brian Strait‘s holding penalty on Crosby at 8:11 of the overtime period.
That led to the Penguins’ game-winning goal, but Bylsma’s remarks will likely get under the skin of the Islanders’ faithful, given that some disagreed with the call.
Islanders coach Jack Capuano wouldn’t comment on the call directly, but was clearly displeased in his post-game presser.
“I don’t normally comment on the call, I just hope that they’re consistent on how they [officials] make calls throughout the game,” he explained. “I can sit here and say what I want, but it’s not going to do any good.
“It’s not an excuse on why we lost the hockey game.”
Mike Milbury was more direct in his analysis.
“Didn’t like the call,” Milbury said. “Thought it was a marginal call, I think officials in overtime have to be 100 percent sure.
“When you look at this, [Strait] raises his hand, then there’s a slight pull, and then he [gestures that] ‘I didn’t do anything.’
“Not long enough to knock a strong skater like Crosby — in my opinion — off of his skates.”
You can see the result of that penalty below:
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)