May 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby had a great game, with three assists in 24:08 minutes of playing time, but that’s not what Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma liked most about the Penguins’ captain on Sunday.
“The best set-up he had was drawing that penalty,” Bylsma said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Bylsma was referring to Islanders defenseman Brian Strait‘s holding penalty on Crosby at 8:11 of the overtime period.
That led to the Penguins’ game-winning goal, but Bylsma’s remarks will likely get under the skin of the Islanders’ faithful, given that some disagreed with the call.
Islanders coach Jack Capuano wouldn’t comment on the call directly, but was clearly displeased in his post-game presser.
“I don’t normally comment on the call, I just hope that they’re consistent on how they [officials] make calls throughout the game,” he explained. “I can sit here and say what I want, but it’s not going to do any good.
“It’s not an excuse on why we lost the hockey game.”
Mike Milbury was more direct in his analysis.
“Didn’t like the call,” Milbury said. “Thought it was a marginal call, I think officials in overtime have to be 100 percent sure.
“When you look at this, [Strait] raises his hand, then there’s a slight pull, and then he [gestures that] ‘I didn’t do anything.’
“Not long enough to knock a strong skater like Crosby — in my opinion — off of his skates.”
You can see the result of that penalty below:
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)