May 5, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby had a great game, with three assists in 24:08 minutes of playing time, but that’s not what Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma liked most about the Penguins’ captain on Sunday.
“The best set-up he had was drawing that penalty,” Bylsma said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Bylsma was referring to Islanders defenseman Brian Strait‘s holding penalty on Crosby at 8:11 of the overtime period.
That led to the Penguins’ game-winning goal, but Bylsma’s remarks will likely get under the skin of the Islanders’ faithful, given that some disagreed with the call.
Islanders coach Jack Capuano wouldn’t comment on the call directly, but was clearly displeased in his post-game presser.
“I don’t normally comment on the call, I just hope that they’re consistent on how they [officials] make calls throughout the game,” he explained. “I can sit here and say what I want, but it’s not going to do any good.
“It’s not an excuse on why we lost the hockey game.”
Mike Milbury was more direct in his analysis.
“Didn’t like the call,” Milbury said. “Thought it was a marginal call, I think officials in overtime have to be 100 percent sure.
“When you look at this, [Strait] raises his hand, then there’s a slight pull, and then he [gestures that] ‘I didn’t do anything.’
“Not long enough to knock a strong skater like Crosby — in my opinion — off of his skates.”
You can see the result of that penalty below:
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)