May 4, 2013, 11:49 PM EST
Patrick Kane has yet to score a goal in these Stanley Cup playoffs, even as the Chicago Blackhawks have opened up a 2-0 series lead on the Minnesota Wild.
The Blackhawks have scored seven goals to the Wild’s three through the first two games, however Kane has played set-up man as opposed to finisher. So far, anyway. He’s tallied three assists, including a pair in the 5-2 Chicago win in Game 2.
Immediately below is video evidence of just how dangerous Kane can be when he’s got the puck and looking for his teammates.
Kane revealed to ESPN Chicago reporter Scott Powers that his ability to pass, to find teammates in prime areas for scoring opportunities, was actually the result of getting benched as a youth hockey player.
Here is a quick glance at what Powers wrote (Click to read the full version of the article).
Growing up in Buffalo, N.Y., Kane was more skilled than his peers and often tried to demonstrate that by taking the puck from one end of the ice to the other, weaving through defenders and ultimately scoring without ever acknowledging that he had teammates around him.
That was Kane’s game until one of his coaches finally had enough of his selfish play. The coach gave Kane an ultimatum – pass or sit. Kane, who was almost a teenager, decided the coach was bluffing.
Kane was wrong.
“I think that’s what the fans like – pretty plays,” Kane told ESPN Chicago. “Sometimes it’s nice to do those things.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)