May 4, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
Patrick Kane has yet to score a goal in these Stanley Cup playoffs, even as the Chicago Blackhawks have opened up a 2-0 series lead on the Minnesota Wild.
The Blackhawks have scored seven goals to the Wild’s three through the first two games, however Kane has played set-up man as opposed to finisher. So far, anyway. He’s tallied three assists, including a pair in the 5-2 Chicago win in Game 2.
Immediately below is video evidence of just how dangerous Kane can be when he’s got the puck and looking for his teammates.
Kane revealed to ESPN Chicago reporter Scott Powers that his ability to pass, to find teammates in prime areas for scoring opportunities, was actually the result of getting benched as a youth hockey player.
Here is a quick glance at what Powers wrote (Click to read the full version of the article).
Growing up in Buffalo, N.Y., Kane was more skilled than his peers and often tried to demonstrate that by taking the puck from one end of the ice to the other, weaving through defenders and ultimately scoring without ever acknowledging that he had teammates around him.
That was Kane’s game until one of his coaches finally had enough of his selfish play. The coach gave Kane an ultimatum – pass or sit. Kane, who was almost a teenager, decided the coach was bluffing.
Kane was wrong.
“I think that’s what the fans like – pretty plays,” Kane told ESPN Chicago. “Sometimes it’s nice to do those things.”
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 15
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 40
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (120)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)