May 4, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
Patrick Kane has yet to score a goal in these Stanley Cup playoffs, even as the Chicago Blackhawks have opened up a 2-0 series lead on the Minnesota Wild.
The Blackhawks have scored seven goals to the Wild’s three through the first two games, however Kane has played set-up man as opposed to finisher. So far, anyway. He’s tallied three assists, including a pair in the 5-2 Chicago win in Game 2.
Immediately below is video evidence of just how dangerous Kane can be when he’s got the puck and looking for his teammates.
Kane revealed to ESPN Chicago reporter Scott Powers that his ability to pass, to find teammates in prime areas for scoring opportunities, was actually the result of getting benched as a youth hockey player.
Here is a quick glance at what Powers wrote (Click to read the full version of the article).
Growing up in Buffalo, N.Y., Kane was more skilled than his peers and often tried to demonstrate that by taking the puck from one end of the ice to the other, weaving through defenders and ultimately scoring without ever acknowledging that he had teammates around him.
That was Kane’s game until one of his coaches finally had enough of his selfish play. The coach gave Kane an ultimatum – pass or sit. Kane, who was almost a teenager, decided the coach was bluffing.
Kane was wrong.
“I think that’s what the fans like – pretty plays,” Kane told ESPN Chicago. “Sometimes it’s nice to do those things.”
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22