May 4, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
Patrick Kane has yet to score a goal in these Stanley Cup playoffs, even as the Chicago Blackhawks have opened up a 2-0 series lead on the Minnesota Wild.
The Blackhawks have scored seven goals to the Wild’s three through the first two games, however Kane has played set-up man as opposed to finisher. So far, anyway. He’s tallied three assists, including a pair in the 5-2 Chicago win in Game 2.
Immediately below is video evidence of just how dangerous Kane can be when he’s got the puck and looking for his teammates.
Kane revealed to ESPN Chicago reporter Scott Powers that his ability to pass, to find teammates in prime areas for scoring opportunities, was actually the result of getting benched as a youth hockey player.
Here is a quick glance at what Powers wrote (Click to read the full version of the article).
Growing up in Buffalo, N.Y., Kane was more skilled than his peers and often tried to demonstrate that by taking the puck from one end of the ice to the other, weaving through defenders and ultimately scoring without ever acknowledging that he had teammates around him.
That was Kane’s game until one of his coaches finally had enough of his selfish play. The coach gave Kane an ultimatum – pass or sit. Kane, who was almost a teenager, decided the coach was bluffing.
Kane was wrong.
“I think that’s what the fans like – pretty plays,” Kane told ESPN Chicago. “Sometimes it’s nice to do those things.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)