May 4, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
Patrick Kane has yet to score a goal in these Stanley Cup playoffs, even as the Chicago Blackhawks have opened up a 2-0 series lead on the Minnesota Wild.
The Blackhawks have scored seven goals to the Wild’s three through the first two games, however Kane has played set-up man as opposed to finisher. So far, anyway. He’s tallied three assists, including a pair in the 5-2 Chicago win in Game 2.
Immediately below is video evidence of just how dangerous Kane can be when he’s got the puck and looking for his teammates.
Kane revealed to ESPN Chicago reporter Scott Powers that his ability to pass, to find teammates in prime areas for scoring opportunities, was actually the result of getting benched as a youth hockey player.
Here is a quick glance at what Powers wrote (Click to read the full version of the article).
Growing up in Buffalo, N.Y., Kane was more skilled than his peers and often tried to demonstrate that by taking the puck from one end of the ice to the other, weaving through defenders and ultimately scoring without ever acknowledging that he had teammates around him.
That was Kane’s game until one of his coaches finally had enough of his selfish play. The coach gave Kane an ultimatum – pass or sit. Kane, who was almost a teenager, decided the coach was bluffing.
Kane was wrong.
“I think that’s what the fans like – pretty plays,” Kane told ESPN Chicago. “Sometimes it’s nice to do those things.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)