Sens’ MacLean on Prust comments: ‘I might be husky, but I’m not fat’

May 4, 2013, 4:18 PM EST

Paul MacLean AP

The day after being called a “bug-eyed, fat walrus” by Montreal forward Brandon Prust, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean decided to clarify things.

“I might be husky, but I’m not fat,” MacLean said. “I took offense to that.”

Okay then!

MacLean, 55, has been pretty vocal throughout the first two games of the Sens-Habs Eastern Conference quarterfinal, which has led to trading barbs in the media.

Following Eric Gryba’s devastating hit on Lars Eller in Game 1, MacLean ruffled some feathers by placing blame on the pass made by Habs defenseman Raphael Diaz (referring to Diaz as “Player 61,” saying he didn’t know who he was) while claiming the hit was a “hockey play that went bad.”

The Canadiens took those as signs of disrespect to both Diaz and Eller, which led to Prust’s blast — and a scathing reply from Montreal bench boss Michel Therrien.

“Inappropriate comment,” Therrien said of MacLean’s remarks. “No respect for the player on the ice who was bleeding. No respect for his family in the stands. When he compared that to a hockey hit, the comparison he made was with the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s.

“This is why we’ve got new rules, to avoid those hits when a player is vulnerable. That’s why we’ve got rules. That was a lack of respect to Lars Eller and his family and I’m never going to accept that. Never.”

Therrien wasn’t done there, though.

Following Montreal’s Game 2 win on Friday, he took another shot at MacLean by referencing Diaz.

“By the way, number 61 is Raphael Diaz,” he told reporters following the contest. “Just in case they don’t know.”

1. acieu - May 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

How about bug eyed fat hippo then?

2. President Charles Logan - May 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

sens are done…. like always

3. capsfan19 - May 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Elephant seal maybe?

• mclovinhockey - May 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

its the stash, thats the reason for the walrus comment.

4. sampulls - May 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Therrien is such a cry baby….give him 24-36 month max in Montreal.

• sheckyrimshot - May 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

he took a team that finished dead last in the east to a division title and a 2 seed. i’d say he’s doing something right.

• mclovinhockey - May 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

its so strange actually being on the site to see what people thumbs up and thumbs down. Sheck says a fact and gets thumbed down to hell, Sam makes an irrelevant post and gets a ton of thumbs up.

Some people on this site are so asinine.

• dumbassgreg - May 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM

mclovinhockey lmao. have not figured out most people here have tunnel vision. they cheer for a team or better yet as seinfeld said a piece of cloth or fabric lmao. you can tell most here which team they cheer for by how they view things. my pest is a great team guy . yours is whiny wimpy backstabber lmao. the league favorites your team they always screw mine. lmao. just check next time a gryba incident happens very quickly can tell who most people cheer for. lmao as we know fan comes from word fanatic lmao.

5. cweez2 - May 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Knock it off you two or you won’t get any dessert!

6. phillyphanatic77 - May 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I thought those Prust comments were extremely childish. The Habs all seem to be blaming Gryba and MacLean for a clean, albeit devastating, hit. But Diaz deserves atleast half the blame. I feel bad for Eller but all this back and forth is getting ridiculous. Settle it on the ice if you have a problem, not thru the media.

• President Charles Logan - May 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

and you’re still here on this site posting for what reason?? is the golf section closed off?

• phillyphanatic77 - May 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Because I’m a fan of the sport. I always watch the NHL playoffs, doesn’t matter if my teams in it or not. You’ve never even said what team you’re a fan of so why are you here? Didn’t think they knew what hockey was down there in Georgia.

• broadstreetbeatdown - May 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The inbreeding section is closed off too. Now shoo away you rube.

• President Charles Logan - May 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

golf channel , find it.

• broadstreetbeatdown - May 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Sister banging, Stop it!

• steelwarriors55 - May 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

@phillyphanatic dont blame him he’s probably a habs fan and they are not fans of the game that’s why they dont understand that people with their team eliminated keep watching the game.They know a lot about their team but nothing about hockey that’s why the ratings in the province of quebec are great when the canadiens are playing(more than 2 mil people watching) and drop to like 300k people watching

• President Charles Logan - May 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM

im not a habs fan … my team left atlanta and went to winnipeg i refuse to cheer for winnipeg. the canes arent in the playoffs, the preds arent in the playoffs so i guess i’ll cheer for the caps

7. jkaplan11 - May 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The top 2 coaches in the NHL this year, going at it like little kids…

Love it!

Great series so far. Entertaining on and off the ice!

• chicagobtech - May 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I don’t see Coach Q quoted here.

8. letsgopens8771 - May 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I find it funny that Therrien says MacLean’s comments were inappropriate but has nothing to say regarding Prust’s comments. Wonder what would have happened if Torts was involved in this whole snafu. Although I am taking the Habs’s side on this one and it was a really clever insult by Prust, I’d just rather they focus more on hockey than petty insults.

9. mclovinhockey - May 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

The word clean should not be used to describe that hit, it was not suspension worthy, but he had him lined up prior to eller having the puck, no matter what it’s at least roughing, then due to blood, goes to a double minor, because of the injury the refs figured it should be a major.

Smart call by the refs, if Gryba got something small for that hit, the refs would have lost control of that game.

Eller got knocked out before he even hit the ice.

Anyway you can disagree if you want but anything that should be at least 2 is not clean and he destroyed a player in a vulnerable position which is illegal in today’s game.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

You have no clue about what you are talking about, “due to the blood it goes to a double minor” it wasn’t high sticking. You seriously have never ref’ed a game, never read the rulebook and should not comment on things you haven’t a clue about.

• mclovinhockey - May 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

No it was not a high sticking, I have read the rule book and I have watched over 80 games this year (usually watch a game a day) if you draw blood during an elbowing you get a double minor, a roughing double minor, boarding… usually its a major.

So from what I have seen this year and in years pass, blood being drawn, refs give at least 4.

• tycobbfromfangraphs - May 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Ive read your posts here many times, and you’re not someone I consider to have much of a clue when it comes to hockey, more like a child like mind with a base understanding of the game, so don’t bother replying in the future, I don’t have any respect for you or your opinions whatsoever. Which I believe puts me with the majority.

• killerpgh - May 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Nowhere in the rule book does it say anything about a double minor for elbowing if there is blood.

10. rosettast0ned - May 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I wonder if Prust forgot that the “bug-eyed fat walrus,” has scored 30+ goals eight times during his playing career, last I knew Prust was an overpaid goon who has scored a career high 13 goals in the regular season. This never would have happened if Diaz hadn’t set Eller up to get drilled in a bad area on the ice, anyone with half of a functioning brain can see that.

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches