May 4, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader might get a call from the NHL after he was ejected from Game 3 of his team’s first-round series against the Anaheim Ducks for a charging hit on Toni Lydman.
Here’s early video of the hit (an extended version will be added soon):This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Lydman, 35, needed help off the ice after that check. Abdelkader received a five-minute charging major to go along with that ejection, which opened the door for the Ducks to score the game’s first (and so far only) goal on the ensuing power play.
Update: the Anaheim Ducks announced that Lydman is being evaluated and won’t return to the game.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)