May 4, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader might get a call from the NHL after he was ejected from Game 3 of his team’s first-round series against the Anaheim Ducks for a charging hit on Toni Lydman.
Here’s early video of the hit (an extended version will be added soon):This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Lydman, 35, needed help off the ice after that check. Abdelkader received a five-minute charging major to go along with that ejection, which opened the door for the Ducks to score the game’s first (and so far only) goal on the ensuing power play.
Update: the Anaheim Ducks announced that Lydman is being evaluated and won’t return to the game.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5