May 4, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader might get a call from the NHL after he was ejected from Game 3 of his team’s first-round series against the Anaheim Ducks for a charging hit on Toni Lydman.
Here’s early video of the hit (an extended version will be added soon):This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Lydman, 35, needed help off the ice after that check. Abdelkader received a five-minute charging major to go along with that ejection, which opened the door for the Ducks to score the game’s first (and so far only) goal on the ensuing power play.
Update: the Anaheim Ducks announced that Lydman is being evaluated and won’t return to the game.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 22
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 34
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)