May 4, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
At the age of 29, and with 10 seasons of National Hockey League experience, defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is finally playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
It seems the wait was worth it.
The Blues are up two-games-to-none in their best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final against the L.A. Kings, the defending Stanley Cup champions, and Bouwmeester has quietly had a positive effect to the St. Louis defensive corps.
No points in the first two games for Bouwmeester, who the Blues acquired in a deal with the Calgary Flames two days before the trade deadline, but he does have a plus-one rating in a series that has produced a total of six goals.
It’s certainly different hockey in the playoffs compared to what he’s experienced in already 764 regular season games.
“Everything gets ramped up, the energy and the physical play,” Bouwmeester told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
“You’re playing the same team over and over again and you get those little confrontations that go from game to game. But I think the way our games are pretty similar…you don’t want to run out of position to make big hits.
“You don’t want to change too much because it’s this time of year. You have to stick with what gets you there. You know teams are coming for you — that doesn’t change — but I think our focus is to move the puck and get it to our forwards because that’s where we want to be playing.”
The Blues have a chance to take a 3-0 series lead on the Kings with a win tonight in L.A.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)