May 4, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
If the Detroit Red Wings were expecting a big boost from their first-round series switching to Joe Louis Arena in Game 3, they were sorely mistaken. Instead, the Anaheim Ducks beat a flat Detroit squad 4-0 to take a 2-1 series lead on Saturday.
A few questions/thoughts to ponder:
- The Ducks have out-scored the Red Wings 8-1 in the third period in this series, including 3-0 on Saturday (and that thunderous near-comeback in Game 2). What do you attribute that to? Potential choices: the Ducks’ youth and size, a thinning Red Wings supporting cast or perhaps Bruce Boudreau’s system.
- Would you consider Justin Abdelkader‘s ejection (and the subsequent five-minute major power play that came with it) the turning point? Anaheim scored the game-winner/1-0 tally shortly after that.
- Either way, the Red Wings experienced a slow night, firing just 23 shots on Jonas Hiller. What can Mike Babcock do to turn things around for a team that seems to be fading a bit?
- Is this 2-1 series start an affirmation of the Ducks’ season? Many believe that Anaheim rode more than a little bit of luck to win the Pacific Division and grab the West’s second seed.
- Speaking of a lack of appreciation, how long will it take for Boudreau to garner consideration as a high-level coach? He’s produced some great results in his brief NHL career.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)