May 4, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
If the Detroit Red Wings were expecting a big boost from their first-round series switching to Joe Louis Arena in Game 3, they were sorely mistaken. Instead, the Anaheim Ducks beat a flat Detroit squad 4-0 to take a 2-1 series lead on Saturday.
A few questions/thoughts to ponder:
- The Ducks have out-scored the Red Wings 8-1 in the third period in this series, including 3-0 on Saturday (and that thunderous near-comeback in Game 2). What do you attribute that to? Potential choices: the Ducks’ youth and size, a thinning Red Wings supporting cast or perhaps Bruce Boudreau’s system.
- Would you consider Justin Abdelkader‘s ejection (and the subsequent five-minute major power play that came with it) the turning point? Anaheim scored the game-winner/1-0 tally shortly after that.
- Either way, the Red Wings experienced a slow night, firing just 23 shots on Jonas Hiller. What can Mike Babcock do to turn things around for a team that seems to be fading a bit?
- Is this 2-1 series start an affirmation of the Ducks’ season? Many believe that Anaheim rode more than a little bit of luck to win the Pacific Division and grab the West’s second seed.
- Speaking of a lack of appreciation, how long will it take for Boudreau to garner consideration as a high-level coach? He’s produced some great results in his brief NHL career.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (93)