May 4, 2013, 10:14 PM EST
If the Detroit Red Wings were expecting a big boost from their first-round series switching to Joe Louis Arena in Game 3, they were sorely mistaken. Instead, the Anaheim Ducks beat a flat Detroit squad 4-0 to take a 2-1 series lead on Saturday.
A few questions/thoughts to ponder:
- The Ducks have out-scored the Red Wings 8-1 in the third period in this series, including 3-0 on Saturday (and that thunderous near-comeback in Game 2). What do you attribute that to? Potential choices: the Ducks’ youth and size, a thinning Red Wings supporting cast or perhaps Bruce Boudreau’s system.
- Would you consider Justin Abdelkader‘s ejection (and the subsequent five-minute major power play that came with it) the turning point? Anaheim scored the game-winner/1-0 tally shortly after that.
- Either way, the Red Wings experienced a slow night, firing just 23 shots on Jonas Hiller. What can Mike Babcock do to turn things around for a team that seems to be fading a bit?
- Is this 2-1 series start an affirmation of the Ducks’ season? Many believe that Anaheim rode more than a little bit of luck to win the Pacific Division and grab the West’s second seed.
- Speaking of a lack of appreciation, how long will it take for Boudreau to garner consideration as a high-level coach? He’s produced some great results in his brief NHL career.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 12
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 15
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 35
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)