May 4, 2013, 10:14 PM EST
If the Detroit Red Wings were expecting a big boost from their first-round series switching to Joe Louis Arena in Game 3, they were sorely mistaken. Instead, the Anaheim Ducks beat a flat Detroit squad 4-0 to take a 2-1 series lead on Saturday.
A few questions/thoughts to ponder:
- The Ducks have out-scored the Red Wings 8-1 in the third period in this series, including 3-0 on Saturday (and that thunderous near-comeback in Game 2). What do you attribute that to? Potential choices: the Ducks’ youth and size, a thinning Red Wings supporting cast or perhaps Bruce Boudreau’s system.
- Would you consider Justin Abdelkader‘s ejection (and the subsequent five-minute major power play that came with it) the turning point? Anaheim scored the game-winner/1-0 tally shortly after that.
- Either way, the Red Wings experienced a slow night, firing just 23 shots on Jonas Hiller. What can Mike Babcock do to turn things around for a team that seems to be fading a bit?
- Is this 2-1 series start an affirmation of the Ducks’ season? Many believe that Anaheim rode more than a little bit of luck to win the Pacific Division and grab the West’s second seed.
- Speaking of a lack of appreciation, how long will it take for Boudreau to garner consideration as a high-level coach? He’s produced some great results in his brief NHL career.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (125)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)