May 4, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT
If the Detroit Red Wings were expecting a big boost from their first-round series switching to Joe Louis Arena in Game 3, they were sorely mistaken. Instead, the Anaheim Ducks beat a flat Detroit squad 4-0 to take a 2-1 series lead on Saturday.
A few questions/thoughts to ponder:
- The Ducks have out-scored the Red Wings 8-1 in the third period in this series, including 3-0 on Saturday (and that thunderous near-comeback in Game 2). What do you attribute that to? Potential choices: the Ducks’ youth and size, a thinning Red Wings supporting cast or perhaps Bruce Boudreau’s system.
- Would you consider Justin Abdelkader‘s ejection (and the subsequent five-minute major power play that came with it) the turning point? Anaheim scored the game-winner/1-0 tally shortly after that.
- Either way, the Red Wings experienced a slow night, firing just 23 shots on Jonas Hiller. What can Mike Babcock do to turn things around for a team that seems to be fading a bit?
- Is this 2-1 series start an affirmation of the Ducks’ season? Many believe that Anaheim rode more than a little bit of luck to win the Pacific Division and grab the West’s second seed.
- Speaking of a lack of appreciation, how long will it take for Boudreau to garner consideration as a high-level coach? He’s produced some great results in his brief NHL career.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)