May 4, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers, and particularly goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, battled hard in this one, but Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green ultimately broke the scoreless tie at 8:00 of the overtime period. The Capitals had the man advantage after Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh committed a delay of game penalty.
Washington now has a 2-0 series lead and the series will head to New York on Monday.
Some points to chew on:
- Derek Dorsett committed two minor penalties in his Rangers’ debut, but he also accounted for seven of the Rangers’ 58 hits.
- The New York Rangers talked after Game 1 about their need to play a more disciplined game, but that isn’t their only area of concern. They haven’t been able to capitalize on any of their power-play opportunities in this early stage of the playoffs.
- The New York Rangers wanted a delay of game penalty called on Washington’s Karl Alzner with 45.3 seconds left in regulation time. They didn’t get one, which seemed to piss off John Tortorella, as evidenced by him telling the referee to “Get the [expletive] out of my sight,” according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.
- Rick Nash is still searching for his first postseason win. He’s had some chances in this series and has recorded 11 shots on goal.
- These two teams have battled each other in overtime 10 times in NHL playoff history. The Capitals have won six of those contests, according to the Rangers’ Twitter feed.
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 22
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)