May 4, 2013, 3:46 PM EST
The New York Rangers, and particularly goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, battled hard in this one, but Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green ultimately broke the scoreless tie at 8:00 of the overtime period. The Capitals had the man advantage after Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh committed a delay of game penalty.
Washington now has a 2-0 series lead and the series will head to New York on Monday.
Some points to chew on:
- Derek Dorsett committed two minor penalties in his Rangers’ debut, but he also accounted for seven of the Rangers’ 58 hits.
- The New York Rangers talked after Game 1 about their need to play a more disciplined game, but that isn’t their only area of concern. They haven’t been able to capitalize on any of their power-play opportunities in this early stage of the playoffs.
- The New York Rangers wanted a delay of game penalty called on Washington’s Karl Alzner with 45.3 seconds left in regulation time. They didn’t get one, which seemed to piss off John Tortorella, as evidenced by him telling the referee to “Get the [expletive] out of my sight,” according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.
- Rick Nash is still searching for his first postseason win. He’s had some chances in this series and has recorded 11 shots on goal.
- These two teams have battled each other in overtime 10 times in NHL playoff history. The Capitals have won six of those contests, according to the Rangers’ Twitter feed.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)