May 4, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
The New York Rangers, and particularly goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, battled hard in this one, but Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green ultimately broke the scoreless tie at 8:00 of the overtime period. The Capitals had the man advantage after Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh committed a delay of game penalty.
Washington now has a 2-0 series lead and the series will head to New York on Monday.
Some points to chew on:
- Derek Dorsett committed two minor penalties in his Rangers’ debut, but he also accounted for seven of the Rangers’ 58 hits.
- The New York Rangers talked after Game 1 about their need to play a more disciplined game, but that isn’t their only area of concern. They haven’t been able to capitalize on any of their power-play opportunities in this early stage of the playoffs.
- The New York Rangers wanted a delay of game penalty called on Washington’s Karl Alzner with 45.3 seconds left in regulation time. They didn’t get one, which seemed to piss off John Tortorella, as evidenced by him telling the referee to “Get the [expletive] out of my sight,” according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.
- Rick Nash is still searching for his first postseason win. He’s had some chances in this series and has recorded 11 shots on goal.
- These two teams have battled each other in overtime 10 times in NHL playoff history. The Capitals have won six of those contests, according to the Rangers’ Twitter feed.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)