May 4, 2013, 3:46 PM EST
The New York Rangers, and particularly goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, battled hard in this one, but Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green ultimately broke the scoreless tie at 8:00 of the overtime period. The Capitals had the man advantage after Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh committed a delay of game penalty.
Washington now has a 2-0 series lead and the series will head to New York on Monday.
Some points to chew on:
- Derek Dorsett committed two minor penalties in his Rangers’ debut, but he also accounted for seven of the Rangers’ 58 hits.
- The New York Rangers talked after Game 1 about their need to play a more disciplined game, but that isn’t their only area of concern. They haven’t been able to capitalize on any of their power-play opportunities in this early stage of the playoffs.
- The New York Rangers wanted a delay of game penalty called on Washington’s Karl Alzner with 45.3 seconds left in regulation time. They didn’t get one, which seemed to piss off John Tortorella, as evidenced by him telling the referee to “Get the [expletive] out of my sight,” according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.
- Rick Nash is still searching for his first postseason win. He’s had some chances in this series and has recorded 11 shots on goal.
- These two teams have battled each other in overtime 10 times in NHL playoff history. The Capitals have won six of those contests, according to the Rangers’ Twitter feed.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)