Discuss: Caps squeeze past Rangers in overtime

May 4, 2013, 3:46 PM EST

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 04: Members of the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals warm up before Game Two of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Verizon Center on May 4, 2013 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Patrick McDermott/NHLI via Getty Images) Getty Images

The New York Rangers, and particularly goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, battled hard in this one, but Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green ultimately broke the scoreless tie at 8:00 of the overtime period. The Capitals had the man advantage after Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh committed a delay of game penalty.

Washington now has a 2-0 series lead and the series will head to New York on Monday.

Some points to chew on:

• Derek Dorsett committed two minor penalties in his Rangers’ debut, but he also accounted for seven of the Rangers’ 58 hits.
  • The New York Rangers talked after Game 1 about their need to play a more disciplined game, but that isn’t their only area of concern. They haven’t been able to capitalize on any of their power-play opportunities in this early stage of the playoffs.
  • The New York Rangers wanted a delay of game penalty called on Washington’s Karl Alzner with 45.3 seconds left in regulation time. They didn’t get one, which seemed to piss off John Tortorella, as evidenced by him telling the referee to “Get the [expletive] out of my sight,” according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.
  • Rick Nash is still searching for his first postseason win. He’s had some chances in this series and has recorded 11 shots on goal.
  • These two teams have battled each other in overtime 10 times in NHL playoff history. The Capitals have won six of those contests, according to the Rangers’ Twitter feed.
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. trick9 - May 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Typical Tortorella complaining about penalties they didn’t get when there were missed calls other way aswell. Including Nash high-sticking Carlson in the OT.

Great game, Lundqvist was definitely the first star and Holtby the second. Only that lucky bounce has gone behind him and he had no chance to save that.

• nicknyhc - May 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

So that puck didn’t go over the glass in the 3rd period, huh?

• villi5ed - May 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

nick

I am on your side. A NYR fan since 1965. But do you honestly think this power play
        was magically gonna score when the puck went over the glass? No question a blown
        call by the ref. Horrible, inexcusable. But it wasn’t the difference in the game.

• phillyphanatic77 - May 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

That was a terrible missed call but there was also a blatant trip on Ribiero that was missed in the 3rd. Refs are human, they make frustrating mistakes, but it goes both ways. The thing is Torts ALWAYS acts like the Rangers got screwed every time they lose. It’s just tired.

• trick9 - May 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Well… TSN’s Fraser (former ref) said that it was the correct call. Why? Because he didn’t shoot or bat the puck over the glass.

• flavadave10 - May 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Are you implying that the Rangers Power Play would have scored?

• jb8383 - May 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

it doesn’t matter you can’t say that you lost the game because the refs missed a call. the caps were the better team.

• ravenscaps48 - May 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Lundqvist is amazing. Should’ve been a 3-0/4-0 game. Just keep up the great work, gentlemen. 14 to go

2. dabutcha114 - May 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Fire Tortarella! All this talent and crap coaching!

3. nicknyhc - May 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Oh look, what a surprise. Another completely biased anti-Rangers story on PHT! Go figure.

“The New York Rangers wanted a delay of game penalty called on Washington’s Karl Alzner with 45.3 seconds left. They didn’t get one, which seemed to piss off John Tortorella, as evidenced by him telling the referee to “Get the [expletive] out of my sight,” according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.”

Do you specialize in news or speculation? My friend’s cousin’s girlfriend’s sister was at the game and heard Ovi call the ref a douchebag, wanna write a story about that?

Secondly, everyone and their mother knew that was a penalty. Even Pierre McGuire couldn’t believe it wasn’t called! Doc and Eddie even had an intermission discussion about it being a non-call, so don’t make it out to be Tortorella making a big deal out of nothing.

Ultimately this non-call cost the Rangers the game. No call on the Caps delay of game but the Rangers get called for the same thing and get called in OT and ultimately lose the game because of that penalty. What an absolute JOKE of a job by these refs.

This is why the NHL is bush league and will never reach the level of the NFL/NBA/MLB. A complete lack of consistency by the officials, oh and those wonderful lockouts we sit through every 5 years. I didn’t sit through half a year of a lockout to see my team get bounced out of the playoffs by the refs.

• blackhawksdynasty - May 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

IMO the NHL should scrap the delay of game penalty all together. That being said, the teams play 60+ minutes of hockey every game. Sure, calls (or non-calls) can hurt or help either team. But ultimately the refs can’t be blamed for a team winning or losing. That’s a childish complaint. Score more goals than the opposition and you win. Simple as that.

• flavadave10 - May 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I agree. Can’t even see why it’s a penalty. The only logical reason I could see for it being a penalty is to keep pucks out of the stands so fans don’t get seriously hurt, but that could happen regardless.

• capsravens - May 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

The non-call did not cost the rangers the game, you failed to mention/remember that the caps did get called in OT with a delay of game when olesky flipped it over the glass. There was the Rangers chance, they didn’t capitalize. Then when the Rangers flipped it over afterwards, you knew it was going to be called. Caps Scored, that’s it. If you truely believe the Rangers lost because of a non-call, you are just a “Biased” Rangers fan.

Sorry, but I had to point out the obvious.

• phillyphanatic77 - May 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The Rangers inability to score cost them. It was a missed call, but it wasn’t the difference. Their PP is inept so what makes you think they would’ve won bc of that? And Rick Nash has to put that puck in the net on his break, but he hit the post. Epitome of the Rangers season right there.

• nicknyhc - May 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

You guys are right. The Rangers PP has been awful and it needs to be better for them to go further in the playoffs. Losing the chance to go on the PP because of terrible non-calls definitely doesn’t help though. Especially when its a blatant non-call in a tied playoff game in the final minute of the 3rd period.

Don’t act like you wouldn’t be annoyed if it was your team.

• phillyphanatic77 - May 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I feel for you guys. And I won’t lie and say I wouldn’t be pissed about blatant missed call at the end of 3rd period in a crucial playoff game, but it wasn’t the deciding factor. Someone besides Lundqvist has to step up if they wanna move on. It’s mind boggling that with the talent on this Rangers club they can’t put the puck in the net. Unfortunately Lundqvist cannot score goals, he can only prevent them.

• laxman1944 - May 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

should have paid Prust……..

• therealjr - May 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It’s funny to see Rangers fans morph into what Caps fans were like 25 years ago.

Just thank your God that Mark Messier decided to give you a Cup in your lifetime.

• bigbenh8tr - May 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Haha please stop whining. Ribiero got blatantly tripped on a breakaway and they called it out on TV too. Get a better coach with just even slight touch of class and you guidos might have better luck

• gaborik104life - May 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Agree bigben missed calls on both sides. That being said were not jersey hence were not guido d-bags.

• jetsflyinghigh - May 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM

A lot of missed calls in today’s game. Honestly, I think both games between bad and missed calls the refs have been absolutely horrible. That said, Ribiero did not get tripped. It wasn’t a breakaway and the defenseman, Del Zotto? had already been down with his stick out. Ribiero took two more strides before going into it. That’s not a trip.

4. villi5ed - May 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Ranger fan here. This group’s special teams have been a disaster all season, and the PP for much longer than that. I give the Caps credit — they have had some luck with the crossbars and the posts helping Holtby, but they are not
    leading the series for that reason. The Rangers simply are not good enough both on the PP and the PK to compete
    seriously for a Cup this season. Five-on-five they are in the mix of contenders. But the special teams are horrid and
    for that I feel for Lundqvist. He is all-world on a decent to mediocre hockey club.

• therealjr - May 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Nevertheless, I have been around too long to feel comfortable with a 2-0 series lead. This isn’t over, not even close, and if Lundqvist plays two more games like that in NYC I would be surprised if it’s not 2-2.

• flavadave10 - May 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

This past game confirmed that Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league if he’s locked in. It should have EASILY been at least 3-0 or 4-0.

5. caps4cup - May 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yeah caps!!!!!! Caps4cup

6. gunnyhighway88 - May 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

As a Caps fan, I’m obviously happy that they won. But, the Rangers definitely got whored on that non call for delay of game. I would love to hear the explanation that the refs gave to Torts. Series isn’t over by a long shot. Rangers are going to make it difficult if they continue to play the way they did today.

• trick9 - May 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

It’s not a penalty because the rule states that you need to shoot or bat the puck over the glass. That wasn’t neither it was a poke-check which took some ridiculous deflection.

• gunnyhighway88 - May 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Then I stand corrected. I didn’t realize that was the rule.

7. icelovinbrotha215 - May 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Hank was unreal. I know there will be complaints for the missed call but the Caps outplayed the Rangers. King Henry was the only reason why it was a 1-0 game.

8. jeepfrk04 - May 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Speaking as a referee and someone who doesn’t care which team wins. The no call on the delay of game could have been see as a deflection off the stick. It could also been seen as batting the puck out of play with his stick. Tough call either way. Refs are humans and the make mistakes. Either way it was a good game.

• jeepfrk04 - May 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM

This is what I get for writing my first comment on the phone: Here is the spell checked version.

Speaking as a referee and someone who doesn’t care which team wins. The no call on the delay of game could have been seen as a deflection off the stick. It could also have been seen as batting the puck out of play with his stick. Tough call either way. Refs are humans and make mistakes. Either way it was a good game.

9. hockeyfan28 - May 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

No.30 for New York was incredible the rest of his team leaves alot to be desired

10. ibieiniid - May 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

to be honest, Caps basically had the man advantage all 3rd and OT. that crowd was electric. good to see fans in DC get rewarded.

11. mianfr - May 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Non-Lundqvist players were awful for the Rangers. Everyone was tired and lackadaisical.

12. eagleseagleseagles - May 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Hey nicknyhc,

YOU MAD BRO?

GO CAPS

• tfaltin - May 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

How many hours you spend on Xbox Live today?

13. President Charles Logan - May 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Rags arent coming back in this series , sorry.

• flavadave10 - May 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I wouldn’t count the Rangers out as long as Lundqvist is in net. If he pulls off two performances like his performance in Game 2, series could easily be tied up.

• President Charles Logan - May 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

has he ever even led his team toe the sc finals?? .. bottom line is he’s a great goalie that gets burned out from playing too much come playoff time , besides, the caps peaked at the right time while the rags beat bottom feeders in the last 10 days

14. capsfan19 - May 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Henrik = the ONLY reason why the rangers are where they are. Stepan callahan nash all great. But even in the past couple years, yea they forecheck hard but its all lundqvist. Lets see… Lets give them oh i dont know bryzgalov and see what would happen.
    Both teams got lucky on alot of missed chances, but what surprised me is a team thats “notorious” for its d where were they to defend their goalie in front of the net for a good portion of the game? They clogged the zone a ton towards the end and into OT but seriously! Figure it out!
    I honestly thought nash was going to get a goal. He’a due for an epic one.

15. sadskinsfan89 - May 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

@nicknyhc u mad bro?

16. gertrudegoat - May 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

It’s always good to see the Rangers lose. Those Tortorella
    Press conferences are worth their weight in gold. I LOVE Torts! Sign this guy to an extension!!

17. semin28 - May 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Caps fan baby!!! No call BOOO WHOO!!!!!! Plenty of missed calls on Caps as well…. Quit your CRYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. tfaltin - May 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

This series has been fair. The better team has won both games. The Caps play faster, play with more passion, and play a much more entertaining style of hockey. I feel for Hank, he played great (again) and looked like the best goalie in the world today. The man deserves a Stanley Cup. I think the Rangers have the roster, but not the coach to get it done. I want a new coach for next season and the first song to be played in MSG to be “Unchained” by Van Halen. As for the missed call, I could care less. The Rangers had a PP with 5 minutes left, and another in OT. Winning teams grab those chances by the throat, score, and win. Like the Caps did.

19. Stiller43 - May 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Nicknyhc,

Wow the refs really caused the rangers to score ZERO goals today? And only 1 the other night? How can the NHL stand for this?!!!

Oh wait…maybe it was your TEAMS fault they score .5 goals a game. douche…

And im rooting for the rangers in the series.

20. wethog66 - May 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I find it interesting that none of the “Points to chew on” have anything to do with the Caps. Makes me wonder if Ryan Dadoun watched the game.

Game #1 was back and forth, but Game #2 was all Caps. The King is the only reason the game went to OT. Truly a great goalie.

21. rockthered1286 - May 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

One day Holtbeast will get the credit he deserves… Playing phenomenal hockey right now. But as always, it’s all about Henrik, Henrik, Henrik. Hope to see the king dethroned again!! RTR!!

22. adge84 - May 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Nick was just acting passionately after a tough loss. No reason for everyone to jump down his throat he retracted a good portion of his statement. Rangers offense is to blame that’s it. One goal in 120+ minutes won’t get anything done. As for their anemic power play… Pht won’t let me curse so ill spare you my thoughts on that. We have to get back to the garden where they’ve been significantly stronger and take the next two games. One loss in either of the next two and it’s over. Time for the blueshirts to sack up and not let us garden faithful down.

23. hockeygal67 - May 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Was at the game today. Yes, my Rangers lost, but I lost all respect for Caps fans.

Witnessed grown men AND women swearing and yelling at small children and their parents UNPROVOKED who were wearing Rangers shirts after the game. Never seen anything like it in my life from fans of the winning team. You win the game and you find it necessary to tell a kid their team “f—— sucks” and they should “get out of their f—– arena”? What was worse was other Caps fans joining in on the completely unnecessary taunting as they walked by or laughing and smirking at the scene.

I wasn’t wearing anything to indicate being a Rangers fan so was spared, but I’ve never been so disgusted in my life by such behavior. These were KIDS who were simply waiting outside the restrooms for the rest of their group chatting amongst themselves and the parent with them on where they were going to go eat.

YOU WON THE GAME. BE HAPPY. CELEBRATE. CHANT LET’S GO CAPS! BUT HAVE SOME COMMON DECENCY TOO AND TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED. WITH A LITTLE RESPECT.

Glad I only have a couple more years here before I get out of this town. I never really disliked the Caps in general, but not sure I will ever get this bad taste out of my mouth from such deplorable behavior.

PS…as for the game. Hank was fantastic, but everyone else needs to match his level or this one’s over. Bad non-calls on both sides, more so for us, but not going to blame the refs. Just going to hope going back to MSG, they can regain some momentum and play like I know they can. :)

• critter69 - May 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM

‘hockeygal’?

Maybe YOU are the one who should have watched what your own mouth was saying?

How many swear words did you yell at the refs for ‘blown’ calls (against the Rangers)? How many times did you tell a Caps fan to ‘Get the ‘eff’ [except the word was not abbreviated] out of my way!’ before, during and after the game?

Oh, and how many times have swear words never happened at MSG? I’ve been there, rooting for the away team, and been told to shut up, and not in a ‘pleasant’ (aka non-swear) wording. Oh, and many of those times, it was after the ‘home team’ won.

• leterrun - May 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

While it sucks that this happened, I ask you not to group the entire Caps fan base with a couple of people who do stupid things. The majority of Caps fans I know are great. For the record, I have never seen anything like this happening at Verizon, so I would assume (and hope) that it is extremely rare. And not to be mean or anything, but please don’t insult our city based on the stupidity of a very small minority.

24. eerslbs - May 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Hockeygal not defending what you saw but that happens everywhere. Im a caps fan and was at the game and didn’t say a thing to any rangers fans. Don’t act like opposing fans haven’t or will never again get screamed at by a few “bad apple” rangers fans. If it upsets you that much, say something to the idiots yelling and move on

25. haterzinc - May 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM

If you didn’t expect the caps to handle the rags this series then your stupid. They have been playing great hockey. Ovi for MVP. Nicknyc the troll , that’s what you get for being a DB.

26. hockeygal67 - May 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

It’s beside the point, but I was not the one the behavior was aimed at, but I did not swear at, scream at or berate anyone refs or otherwise the entire game. Just not my thing. I was there with my husband who didn’t either. We actually had a great time up until that point.

I did get involved. I pointed out the incident to nearby security, who broke the whole scene up and escorted the Caps fans out. Again, the game was over.

I have been to countless sporting events where I was there for the home team and away team including Philly, Boston, New Jersey, Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle and more. And I’ve been to MSG too. While I’ve seen some obnoxious and rude adult-on-adult behavior, again, these were KIDS (probably ages 7-13) getting the bulk of the abuse, not adults (the one adult with the group was shocked speechless when the whole thing started before trying to move the kids away from the situation).

AGAIN, it was deplorable behavior that I have never seen before in my over 40 years of going to any sports event because of the age of those who were targeted. If it had just been adults going at adults, I would not have been so outraged as I’ve certainly seen that before.

• dchillin - May 5, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Good. Keep your stuck up New York ass out of my city and there won’t be a problem. And keep your asses out of FedEx too where it is 100x worse than the Phone Booth. MSG and New York in general is way worse of a place to be a visiting fan then DC hands down so your’e full of it. Your classy coach represents the city well

27. johnstone17 - May 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I don’t want to hear about power plays, calls that were or were not made. If you can’t score at even strength, you don’t deserve to win. I’m a Rangers fan since 1974. I have been fortunate to see them win a cup. But I can’t take hearing the excuses anymore. Man up & play.

28. hockeygal67 - May 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Leterun: my apologies. It wasn’t meant as a blanket statement for all Caps fans. Like I said, we had a great time up to that point and I should have said that was with the Caps fans seated with us. Very friendly and fun. It was that no one other than us seemed to find anything wrong with the behavior after the game and even joined in. Maybe they just didn’t want to get involved, I suppose. But that’s disheartening too.

Unfortunately, my experience as a whole living here has not been pleasant (car vandalized, neighbors telling us we don’t belong, etc) so maybe this was just the last straw that sent me over the edge. Sure, that might not be fair to the city as a whole, but it is what it is and has made our stay here one of the least favorite places we’ve been assigned to when I originally had high hopes for our time here after being overseas in some less than hospitable places for Americans. I’ll just hope that this first year was a fluke and the next two will turn it around for us. It’s a beautiful city. :)

dchillin: Guess it’s your type that doesn’t help people like me get over the bad taste this whole experience left me with.

I’ve been to FedEx as a Giants fan and never had a lick of trouble there. In fact, enjoyed tailgating with some Redskins fans who treated us with respect and remain good friends, so maybe you’re the one who’s full of it.

BTW… I was born and raised in Washington State (Seattle). My father was born in NY and passed his team favorites on to me, so I don’t have a stuck up New York ass at all, but did live there for a year and, while we won’t retire there, we enjoyed it a great deal.

29. hockeygal67 - May 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM

johnstone17: Agreed! Slats really needs to being in a power play coach. Sullivan is worthless in that area, even though he does coach other things well, so I don’t necessarily want to see him gone.

I don’t get how they cannot address this after all these years of poor special teams play. Baffling.

30. blackfoot11 - May 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Another great game played by both team. Tons of chances on each side. Glad my Caps were abke to close it out. Let’s go get the next one.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches