May 4, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
Once you get beyond the fact that the fragile forward is actually playing, the initial thought when hearing that Mikael Samuelsson is returning to action for the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday is, “That should help them if it’s another 5-4 game.”
The Swedish winger brings a valuable right-handed shot and creativity to Detroit’s thinning lineup, yet he told the Detroit News that he expects to keep things basic in Game 3 against the Anaheim Ducks.
“I can’t go out there and do what I usually do,” Samuelsson said. “Just play a simple game. Skate hard and hit guys … That’s how I’m going to start and hopefully I get the feel for the puck, once in a while.”
The 36-year-old played in just four regular season games in 2013 after being limited to 48 in 2012.
Even so, he doesn’t expect to shy away from contact.
“I’m still going to fight for every puck,” Samuelsson said. “I’m going to hit guys and try to play hard, play hard around the puck. You can always do that. It doesn’t matter how much you miss of the game.”
“That’s a key element that goes a long way.”
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)