May 4, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
Once you get beyond the fact that the fragile forward is actually playing, the initial thought when hearing that Mikael Samuelsson is returning to action for the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday is, “That should help them if it’s another 5-4 game.”
The Swedish winger brings a valuable right-handed shot and creativity to Detroit’s thinning lineup, yet he told the Detroit News that he expects to keep things basic in Game 3 against the Anaheim Ducks.
“I can’t go out there and do what I usually do,” Samuelsson said. “Just play a simple game. Skate hard and hit guys … That’s how I’m going to start and hopefully I get the feel for the puck, once in a while.”
The 36-year-old played in just four regular season games in 2013 after being limited to 48 in 2012.
Even so, he doesn’t expect to shy away from contact.
“I’m still going to fight for every puck,” Samuelsson said. “I’m going to hit guys and try to play hard, play hard around the puck. You can always do that. It doesn’t matter how much you miss of the game.”
“That’s a key element that goes a long way.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)