May 4, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
If you were hoping for a substantial statement from Justin Abdelkader following his ejection from Game 3 of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, you’re out of luck. Yahoo’s Nick Costonika reports that the 26-year-old left Joe Louis Arena before taking questions.
Instead, his Red Wings teammates were left to share their thoughts, especially since the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that the Ducks are remaining silent about that controversial check.
George Malik of Kukla’s Korner passes along some reactions, including Mike Babcock describing it as a clean but “hard check” to the team Web site. The real zinger comes from defenseman Kyle Quincey‘s discussion on 97.1 The Ticket (transcribed by Malik):
“The chance of hitting a guy and not being suspended is so low these days,” Quincey said.
(The 27-year-old defenseman almost seems wistful, doesn’t he?)
While observers such as Red Wings blog Winging it in Motown call for a reaction from Abdelkader, hearing his teammates’ and coach’s thoughts has been enlightening … even when the answers are minimal.
Related: Watch video of the hit
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 6
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)