May 4, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
If you were hoping for a substantial statement from Justin Abdelkader following his ejection from Game 3 of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, you’re out of luck. Yahoo’s Nick Costonika reports that the 26-year-old left Joe Louis Arena before taking questions.
Instead, his Red Wings teammates were left to share their thoughts, especially since the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that the Ducks are remaining silent about that controversial check.
George Malik of Kukla’s Korner passes along some reactions, including Mike Babcock describing it as a clean but “hard check” to the team Web site. The real zinger comes from defenseman Kyle Quincey‘s discussion on 97.1 The Ticket (transcribed by Malik):
“The chance of hitting a guy and not being suspended is so low these days,” Quincey said.
(The 27-year-old defenseman almost seems wistful, doesn’t he?)
While observers such as Red Wings blog Winging it in Motown call for a reaction from Abdelkader, hearing his teammates’ and coach’s thoughts has been enlightening … even when the answers are minimal.
Related: Watch video of the hit
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 58
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (58)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)