May 4, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
If you were hoping for a substantial statement from Justin Abdelkader following his ejection from Game 3 of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, you’re out of luck. Yahoo’s Nick Costonika reports that the 26-year-old left Joe Louis Arena before taking questions.
Instead, his Red Wings teammates were left to share their thoughts, especially since the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that the Ducks are remaining silent about that controversial check.
George Malik of Kukla’s Korner passes along some reactions, including Mike Babcock describing it as a clean but “hard check” to the team Web site. The real zinger comes from defenseman Kyle Quincey‘s discussion on 97.1 The Ticket (transcribed by Malik):
“The chance of hitting a guy and not being suspended is so low these days,” Quincey said.
(The 27-year-old defenseman almost seems wistful, doesn’t he?)
While observers such as Red Wings blog Winging it in Motown call for a reaction from Abdelkader, hearing his teammates’ and coach’s thoughts has been enlightening … even when the answers are minimal.
Related: Watch video of the hit
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)