May 4, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
If you were hoping for a substantial statement from Justin Abdelkader following his ejection from Game 3 of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, you’re out of luck. Yahoo’s Nick Costonika reports that the 26-year-old left Joe Louis Arena before taking questions.
Instead, his Red Wings teammates were left to share their thoughts, especially since the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that the Ducks are remaining silent about that controversial check.
George Malik of Kukla’s Korner passes along some reactions, including Mike Babcock describing it as a clean but “hard check” to the team Web site. The real zinger comes from defenseman Kyle Quincey‘s discussion on 97.1 The Ticket (transcribed by Malik):
“The chance of hitting a guy and not being suspended is so low these days,” Quincey said.
(The 27-year-old defenseman almost seems wistful, doesn’t he?)
While observers such as Red Wings blog Winging it in Motown call for a reaction from Abdelkader, hearing his teammates’ and coach’s thoughts has been enlightening … even when the answers are minimal.
Related: Watch video of the hit
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 1
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 64
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)