May 4, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
Sidney Crosby returned from a broken jaw on Friday and scored two goals in 7:22 minutes. That wasn’t enough as the New York Islanders pulled off a comeback 4-3 victory to even the series, but at least Crosby’s first game back can be seen as an isolated success, right?
Crosby might argue otherwise, given that he didn’t seem too happy with his performance after the game.
“I think that there’s definitely a little bit of rust,” Crosby told the Penguins’ website. “But there’s not a lot of time, so I’ve got to find a way to create things out there and be better.”
For his part, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma was more upbeat in his assessment of the 25-year-old superstar.
“I thought he didn’t miss a beat,” Bylsma said. “He skated well, he was on pucks, he was strong. In addition to his two goals, he had a couple other dangerous situations and plays and was very good in the faceoff circle. I thought he was very good getting back in there after missing 13 games.”
As a team, the Penguins will have to shrug off last night’s loss as the series heads to Nassau Coliseum for Game 3 on Sunday.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 53
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)