May 4, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby returned from a broken jaw on Friday and scored two goals in 7:22 minutes. That wasn’t enough as the New York Islanders pulled off a comeback 4-3 victory to even the series, but at least Crosby’s first game back can be seen as an isolated success, right?
Crosby might argue otherwise, given that he didn’t seem too happy with his performance after the game.
“I think that there’s definitely a little bit of rust,” Crosby told the Penguins’ website. “But there’s not a lot of time, so I’ve got to find a way to create things out there and be better.”
For his part, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma was more upbeat in his assessment of the 25-year-old superstar.
“I thought he didn’t miss a beat,” Bylsma said. “He skated well, he was on pucks, he was strong. In addition to his two goals, he had a couple other dangerous situations and plays and was very good in the faceoff circle. I thought he was very good getting back in there after missing 13 games.”
As a team, the Penguins will have to shrug off last night’s loss as the series heads to Nassau Coliseum for Game 3 on Sunday.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)