May 3, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
After failing to produce nearly enough scoring chances on Wednesday, Canucks coach Alain Vigneault wants his team to pay the price tonight in Game 2 of its first-round series with the San Jose Sharks.
And Vigneault doesn’t care that the Canucks don’t have the most hulking forwards in the NHL.
“I watched [Brendan] Gallagher last night in Montreal,” said Vigneault. “You don’t have to be big to go to the tough areas.”
Gallagher — a candidate for rookie of the year — is listed at 5-foot-9, 178 pounds.
San Jose won the series opener, 3-1. (According to the Canucks Army blog, Vancouver didn’t manage a single scoring chance in the third period.)
Vigneault also provided an update of sorts on injured goalie Cory Schneider, who’s still considered day-to-day with an undisclosed ailment.
Despite Schneider taking the ice for a skate this morning, it’s not known if he’ll make the trip to San Jose for Game 3.
Roberto Luongo will start again tonight, backed up by AHL call-up Joe Cannata.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)