May 3, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
After failing to produce nearly enough scoring chances on Wednesday, Canucks coach Alain Vigneault wants his team to pay the price tonight in Game 2 of its first-round series with the San Jose Sharks.
And Vigneault doesn’t care that the Canucks don’t have the most hulking forwards in the NHL.
“I watched [Brendan] Gallagher last night in Montreal,” said Vigneault. “You don’t have to be big to go to the tough areas.”
Gallagher — a candidate for rookie of the year — is listed at 5-foot-9, 178 pounds.
San Jose won the series opener, 3-1. (According to the Canucks Army blog, Vancouver didn’t manage a single scoring chance in the third period.)
Vigneault also provided an update of sorts on injured goalie Cory Schneider, who’s still considered day-to-day with an undisclosed ailment.
Despite Schneider taking the ice for a skate this morning, it’s not known if he’ll make the trip to San Jose for Game 3.
Roberto Luongo will start again tonight, backed up by AHL call-up Joe Cannata.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)