May 3, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Sharks winger Martin Havlat played all of 3:16 in San Jose’s series-opening victory over Vancouver on Wednesday night before leaving the contest for good.
Now, it may be clear why he was forced out.
Havlat took a spear in, um, a tender location — courtesy Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa — at the 9:10 mark of the opening frame.
Here’s the incident (on the left):
(Full video here, if you like.)
That ended up being Havlat’s final shift of the evening.
On Thursday, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan wasn’t offering much in the way of a health update.
“It’s playoffs, guys,” he explained. “You know we’re not going to give you anything”
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment yesterday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
No word yet on whether Havlat will return to the lineup for Game 2. If he can’t go, it’s possible that Tim Kennedy or Matt Pelech could draw in.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)