May 3, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
Sharks winger Martin Havlat played all of 3:16 in San Jose’s series-opening victory over Vancouver on Wednesday night before leaving the contest for good.
Now, it may be clear why he was forced out.
Havlat took a spear in, um, a tender location — courtesy Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa — at the 9:10 mark of the opening frame.
Here’s the incident (on the left):
(Full video here, if you like.)
That ended up being Havlat’s final shift of the evening.
On Thursday, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan wasn’t offering much in the way of a health update.
“It’s playoffs, guys,” he explained. “You know we’re not going to give you anything”
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment yesterday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
No word yet on whether Havlat will return to the lineup for Game 2. If he can’t go, it’s possible that Tim Kennedy or Matt Pelech could draw in.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)