May 3, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Sharks winger Martin Havlat played all of 3:16 in San Jose’s series-opening victory over Vancouver on Wednesday night before leaving the contest for good.
Now, it may be clear why he was forced out.
Havlat took a spear in, um, a tender location — courtesy Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa — at the 9:10 mark of the opening frame.
Here’s the incident (on the left):
(Full video here, if you like.)
That ended up being Havlat’s final shift of the evening.
On Thursday, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan wasn’t offering much in the way of a health update.
“It’s playoffs, guys,” he explained. “You know we’re not going to give you anything”
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment yesterday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
No word yet on whether Havlat will return to the lineup for Game 2. If he can’t go, it’s possible that Tim Kennedy or Matt Pelech could draw in.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)