May 3, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Sharks winger Martin Havlat played all of 3:16 in San Jose’s series-opening victory over Vancouver on Wednesday night before leaving the contest for good.
Now, it may be clear why he was forced out.
Havlat took a spear in, um, a tender location — courtesy Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa — at the 9:10 mark of the opening frame.
Here’s the incident (on the left):
(Full video here, if you like.)
That ended up being Havlat’s final shift of the evening.
On Thursday, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan wasn’t offering much in the way of a health update.
“It’s playoffs, guys,” he explained. “You know we’re not going to give you anything”
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment yesterday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
No word yet on whether Havlat will return to the lineup for Game 2. If he can’t go, it’s possible that Tim Kennedy or Matt Pelech could draw in.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)