Video: Kyle Okposo cuts Matt Niskanen in fight

May 3, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT

Despite falling behind 3-1 in the first period, many (reasonably) believed that the New York Islanders were frequently taking Game 2 to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday. The crowd is divided on how much of it had to do with a fight, though.

After Matt Niskanen landed a hit on Matt Moulson, Kyle Okposo engaged in his first NHL fight with the Penguins defenseman. If you judge a scuffle by how each player looked afterward, it’s easy to give the win to Okposo:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Want to just see the blood? SBNation captured it in GIF form:

source:

The impact of that fight might cause some debate.

Some will say it was just a matter of time for an aggressive Islanders team. Those who tout the momentum-generating powers of fights would likely counter that the Islanders scored about 15 seconds after the round of fisticuffs.

Either way, the contest is up for grabs as the score was tied 3-3 going into the final frame.

1. eigglesnosuperbowls - May 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Its the 2nd intermission and I can tell you the third period will be choc full o power play time for the team from pittsburgh ! The islanders should be leery if its a tie game late of the throw back your head violent embellishment a stick came near my face penguin act

• bcisleman - May 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Turns out Isles were fine!!!

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Awesome if you don’t mind I will be rooting for the NY ISLANDERS but to pitt fans I want them to be know as the Philadelphia FLYLANDERS knock out first round luck

• jl9830 - May 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM

HAHAHAHAHA. LET’S GO ISLANDERS!!!!

2. eigglesnosuperbowls - May 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM

ok now malkins allowed to try and pull your skate out from under you then get up and sucker punch you comment by mcguire CRICKETS !

• bern1417 - May 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Say’s the idiot who’s rambling….

• crashtheboards55 - May 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM

So eiggles, you must be really obsessed with the Pens man. I mean all you do is spend time on any article that involves the Pens. The mark of a Flyers than deep down really wants to be a Pens fan. I know it must be awful to watch you computer for updates for you to comment on. Especially since the Flyers are sitting at home. AGAIN. Judging by your posts, I would say that you play video games all day long, you have a lot of cats (bc that is the only pu@@@) you will ever see) and you have a fathead of Sidney Crosby in your room that cuddle with almost every night. I’m sure there are some flyers articles you can have read to you from 1975 to make your feel like they are relevant. You always want what you envy.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Ok ya wanna know what I think of you yinzers ? You’s are all zeros trying to be a one and the pens are all you have to make your miserable existence some worth !
        LETS GO FLYLANDERS !

3. eigglesnosuperbowls - May 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Looks like the Philadelphia Islanders are getting in the pens head !

• jl9830 - May 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Stop. Flyers are awful.

4. sjsharks66 - May 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Hows “G’s” golf game going?

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

The FLYLANDERS take game 2 hahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahah !

• bern1417 - May 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM

You must have no life to not only be watching a hockey that your squad isn’t playing in on a Friday night, and commenting on the web simultaneously.. lmfao you’re definitely a loser,hahaha

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I don’t Iam committed to seeing the pens get bounced then I will go away !

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

sjpen66 come out of the closet

5. bcisleman - May 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Disappointed Ox didn’t get his Gordie Howe. Maybe next game. BTW first NHL fight as noted and LONG overdue!!!

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Awesome dude I feel happy for you !

• bern1417 - May 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I’m sure the trainers gave him a banana…

6. jdrew506 - May 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I guess Sid the kid didn’t help the pens win this one. Islander took it to the best team on paper but as BC pointed out earlier you don’t play this game on paper. Got real quite in the igloo at the end of this game huh. Now back home for 3, can the ghost of Islander past be getting in the penguins heads?

• bern1417 - May 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Yay now you won the Stanley Cup, huh? The igloo? The igloo was shredded 2 yrs ago and is now a parking lot so of course it was quiet smart guy. I highly highly doubt any of the current Pens really give two sh!ts what happened when 80% of them weren’t born yet or what happened when they were 12.. I love how you idiots are pumped after winning one game,lol. I realize it’s only the 2nd time seeing the postseason in like 12yrs,but get real for a minute.

• jl9830 - May 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

The players are like the fans: they don’t care what happened before Crosby got drafted. LOL. Some “fans” Pens fans are.

And trust us: the Islanders have seen plenty of success in their history. The Penguins wish they had any sort of history like the Islanders have.

7. herc883 - May 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I could go on and on about how much I loathe the Pens but I don’t have time. Instead I will say this- pens suck bobo

• bern1417 - May 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery…

8. jimw81 - May 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

You know it’s NHL Playoffs if marc andre fleury is laying eggs on the ice

9. jdrew506 - May 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Waiting for penguin fans to comment on the game but all I hear are crickets.

• jl9830 - May 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Love it. They’re all home crying. The better team won tonight. The Penguins will need to be better if they want to move on to the second round.

• drone501 - May 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM

not this pens fan. if its a close game, maf scares me. in a bad way.

• andrewproughcfe - May 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

As a Pens fan, I’ll say the same thing I said before the playoffs started – any team that continues to employ an absolutely reckless, dangerous player like Matt Cooke deserves to lose in the first round.

I hope they overcome his bad karma, but most of my fan-dom goes to Karlsson and the Senators this year. Huge respect to him for getting back on his feet, back on the ice, and being the game 1 hero vs the Canadiens.

• bern1417 - May 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Wipe your chin goofball…

10. c1md6 - May 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM

God is McGuire brutal to listen to. All he talks about is where guys played pee wee hockey in 1984 or Crosby scoring the game winning goal in the Olympics.

11. cspsrbums - May 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Or how Islander hits should be taken out of Hockey but Pitts hits where awesome and clean NBC is disgusting to listen to

12. friedberg7 - May 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Congrats Isles fans. I would be pumped as hell to beat a team like the Pens. Don’t think Pens are going to roll over and die though.

• drone501 - May 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

pens will be back stronger than ever.

13. sjsharks66 - May 4, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I like the guy who says i have no life for watching a game that my team was not a part of.

It is the playoffs, real hockey fans watch as many of those games as possible. Oh and in case you didn’t know the team I cheer for played as soon as the pens game was over.

So yeah, you’re right. I don’t have a life when playoff hockey is in session. I would imagine many HOCKEY FANS don’t either.

Ill leave on the note by saying, enjoy cheering against the pens flyers fans. 1975 is getting further and further away!

14. northstarnic - May 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM

MN hockey baby! Proud of both these guys, but…. Go Isles!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches